What do you feed?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
What do you feed?

I just added a new pleco to my tank thanks to Zerc. An L014 http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/_species.php?species_id=161

I took my large piece of wood out of the tank, but I think I will put some back in to give the guy something to munch on. But was wondering what else to try and feed him.

I have used the Omega One Veggie rounds with great success.

What are you feeding your plecos?

Zerc

Re: What do you feed?

i saw him eat some shrimp once. Afaik they need some protein in their diet.

Madness

Staff member

Nothing. :) Every once in a while I will drop an algae wafer, but they get plenty of food, IMO, from what the fish waste. Plus my greeting :pig:'s eat the damn wafers before they hit the bottom any way.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

There really is not a whole lot of wasted food in the tank from what I see. Been throwing in a wafer every evening just to be safe. It dissolves over time so its not intact in the morning when I check. But I'm not sure if it gets eaten. I do feel I need to get some real wood back in the tank, since many of these plecos benefit from having it in their diet.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

With the manzanita branches, I really dont want a repeat of the slime that seemed to grow on the tank walls and inside the filters. So I may cut a piece down and just put in a small branch instead. I have the mopani branch from my old 120g in the 29g that the bristlenose eat on and never have slime issues.

Just spent a lot of money on those large branches to be hacking them up....

Maybe I should just get some more mopani or some of the Malaysian driftwood instead.

Betty

Staff member

I feed mine NLS mostly. The bristlenose also get vegetables of all kinds. The leopard frogs get earthworm sticks in addition to the NLS.

My plecos also like driftwood, but they don't seem to ever eat the mopani. They like the softer stuff. We live right by the Nisqually River and I pick pieces up there and buy interestingly shaped pieces from the fish stores. The bristlenose also like to eat sponge. :roll:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

I do have a really interesting piece of driftwood in my front yard that I always thought would look cool in a tank. I might just have to prep that for the tank.

I just have to know.... How did you ever find out bristlenose like to eat sponge? :lmfao:

Betty

Staff member

:lol:

3f1c42fc.jpg

My solution:
72de1915.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

:laughhard:

I laughed so hard when I saw the picture of that sponge! Now I understand.

Maybe you should market your gadget. "Tired of your plecos eating your sponge filters, your problems are gone with new pleco guard!" :lmfao:

Angelman

for my bn's i give them green beans!!!! I put them in at bed time by morning there all gone..

Angelman

I use caned green beans. I open it and take it over and feed them. even my cory cats munch on it. The other night I tried some peas and that was fun to watch!!!!!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

I had forgot that Betty, who gave me my bristlenose growouts said she used canned green beans also.

Betty

Staff member

DMD123 said:
I had forgot that Betty, who gave me my bristlenose growouts said she used canned green beans also.
They love the green beans! And they want French style -- I buy the unsalted.