What did you do with your tank(s) today?

BPSabelhaus

Cleaned out the intake screen and pulled the plant material off the impeller shaft. Pond is pumping away at full steam again. Cupped some more Bettas. More koi and white/ pink are popping up. The one we have for sure decided to keep is in a 5 gallon with my blond Endlers. Was excited the other day to see the first 4 fry. The adults were all chasing them which is unusual for my strains. Typically only the older menopausal females will eat fry. The undersized, deformities, presumably blond. That's my next research rabbit hole, blond vs grey predation rates.

Anyway, once I put her in there they were gone lol. Also "she" flares a lot for a female and the back fin is getting larger. Not 100% sure just yet. I should move that small Endler colony into the 2.5 qt / microfauna tank for a month or so. Probably speed up breeding too.

MegaraSai

Keeping an eye on the second blue rasbora I put in the tank yesterday. Having two tiny minions swimming into her territory at the front of the tank has helped Ryan stop focusing so much on Parona when the garra 'invades' while cleaning gravel. Sai on the other fin was so 'Another one? Eh,' that I didn't even bother temporarily removing him.

Orthopod

Anyone go to the GSAS auction Saturday? I could not, but it is generally not awesome and the reason I go is FOMO.

Fish auction s on the east coast were awesome with 1000s varieties of fish at amazing prices. The ones here are primarily plants, broken equipment, a few nano fish and other common species but I hold out hope it will change one day.

I guess in addition to the question if someone went to the auction, this turned into a rant on the Seattle area version of our hobby, lol.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I guess in addition to the question if someone went to the auction, this turned into a rant on the Seattle area version of our hobby, lol.
Just look at our own Fishbox, we used to have a ton of active members years ago... There was also a very large group of cichlid keepers and there would be regular group buys of fish... We have even seen many fish stores go...

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Over the course of last winter I have been concentrating on expanding my Enantiopus melanogenys Utinta and Cyprichromis leptosoma Mpimbwe colonies, and today I pooled the progeny in a 75g grow-out tank. There are ~22 E. melanogenys juveniles (from 2 spawns) and 20 C. leptosoma Mpimbwe juveniles (from 3 spawns) all told. The parents- about 15 young adults of each species- are housed together in a 125g in my TV room, and it is one of my favorite tanks, with non-stop action from the E. melanogenys males tending their nests on the substrate and the C. leptosoma males defending 3-dimensional territories in the water column. Really pretty fishes, with super cool behaviors.

Enantiopus melanogenys Utinta-

Enantiopus_melanogenys_03@600.jpg
Cyprichromis leptosoma Mpimbwe-

CYPRICHROMIS-LEPTOSOMA-TRICOLOR-MPIMBWE.jpg

The juveniles are just 'little silver fishes' at this stage. :cool:

IMG_7261.jpg

BPSabelhaus

Over the course of last winter I have been concentrating on expanding my Enantiopus melanogenys Utinta and Cyprichromis leptosoma Mpimbwe colonies, and today I pooled the progeny in a 75g grow-out tank. There are ~22 E. melanogenys juveniles (from 2 spawns) and 20 C. leptosoma Mpimbwe juveniles (from 3 spawns) all told. The parents- about 15 young adults of each species- are housed together in a 125g in my TV room, and it is one of my favorite tanks, with non-stop action from the E. melanogenys males tending their nests on the substrate and the C. leptosoma males defending 3-dimensional territories in the water column. Really pretty fishes, with super cool behaviors.

Enantiopus melanogenys Utinta-

Cyprichromis leptosoma Mpimbwe-

The juveniles are just 'little silver fishes' at this stage. :cool:

View attachment 13684

I know it's real, but that first one almost looks like a bad Photoshop for an Amazon aquarium product lol Such a solid almost outline of black around it. So cool.

BPSabelhaus

So I had all my windows replaced at my house saved some of the old windows so I could make another fish tank, also Made so nice new glass tops for a couple of my tanks ! Thanks to my pops for teaching me how to cut glass.
I keep going back and forth on ordering the proper tools to do it. Need to get a flat work surface first thought. 2x6 laid one after another isn't exactly flat.

Oscars Rule

I keep going back and forth on ordering the proper tools to do it. Need to get a flat work surface first thought. 2x6 laid one after another isn't exactly flat.
I use a price of plywood and covered it with the shortest carpet I could get and screwed it to a 2×4 frame and that works great. Glass is forgiving it doesn't need to be perfectly flat. But cutting it is a learning curve but if I can do it anyone can do it lol

Oscars Rule

So I had all my windows replaced at my house saved some of the old windows so I could make another fish tank, also Made so nice new glass tops for a couple of my tanks ! Thanks to my pops for teaching me how to cut glass.
Have some progress on the new 8 gallon long tank. No idea what I'm going to put in it but I got time.

Attachments

• IMG_20240425_222009420.jpg
    IMG_20240425_222009420.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 8

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Was down in Portland today and stopped at Wet Spot. No new fish came home with me but it was close. There was a starry night cichlid that was absolutely a terror in the tank and of course absolutely gorgeous since it was the dominant fish. I just didnt have a tank to put it in at the moment, lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Morning tank cleaning and water changes. @lloyd378 stopped by and picked up fish. Now I have some blank slates to work with...

MegaraSai

Both blue rasboras are still alive, and Ryan has accepted them as her tiny minions. They've learned what's food from watching her, and even tried to eat some Northfin nano pellets as big as their heads. There is much less aggression between Parona and Ryan tho they do still interact - in fact this morning Parona circled peacefully with the rasboras as I got their breakfast ready. I think things are gonna be alright.

--MS