What can I breed in a 55 gallon?

A

Anonymous

I am looking for fish I can breed in my fifty five gallon tank any ideas?

Madness

Staff member
Anything that stays under 7-8".

Convicts, or any fish from that family. Also, you need to specify the type of fish. IE: African, SA, CA, mollies, tetras, dwarf cichlids.........

It not just overall size of the fish that you have to worry about, its the aggression from the male towards the female in the Cichlids. If the male feels like he doesnt have space, he will relentlessly seek out that female.

If you like SA and CA Cichlids, then Google small C & SA cichlids and check out the images, see one you like and ask about them.

A

Anonymous

I DON'T want any community fish! so cichlids would be nice and something other than convicts

GUPPIES...... lololol
bellsprout___lol_face_meme_by_reika_world-d4mrf4c.gif

Anthraxx

african cichlids are always a good fit for a 55, lots of room for choices and color variety is there as well. take a look on cichlid-forum for some of the species profiles to kinda figure out what direction you want to take.

Bridget,

I'm with Anthraxx! If you haven't had Af Cichlids. Now is a good time to work with them. I'm going to pick up an aquarium today to put into a school tomorrow and I think it has a thick layer of crushed shell substrate. If so, that would make a good substrate for an Af tank because it is constantly leaching Calcium into the water which helps harden it and also keeps the pH a little higher. It's what I used in my tank when I had them. I also arranged the rocks in a way to simulate a saltwater reef. You wouldn't believe how many people, upon seeing the multitude of colorful fish swimming all around the rock, asked, "These are saltwater, right?". And they were amazed when I told them they weren't. That was my goal in setting up the tank.

So if you have an interest in this please let me know today or tomorrow and I'll save the substrate for you. If you decide later not to do this, that'll be okay. I'll get rid of it then.

By the way, there are plenty of people on here who can give you good advice when you need it with this group of fish.

A

Anonymous

Apistogramma, Angelfish - a couple smaller SA cichlids you could try breeding.

Anthraxx

blue rams are a bit finicky for what i would call a beginner. they require better water quality, low stable ph, and a higher temperature. all factors can be a little difficult to come by (id compare them to discus in terms of requirements for keeping em happy and healthy) i actually JUST stripped 30 or so rusties yesterday, with plans to strip some of my fuelleborni, yellow labs, and acei later in the week. any of these would be a great fit in a 55.

If you like cool, angry fish you could look into Salvini's, T. Sieboldi and theres tons more as Madness stated. Colorful, angry and a bit of personality if thats what you like!

A

Anonymous

I know! Dom was telling me about them they are so so so so cool!