What are these microscopic critters?

SEAF

I was looking at my reef tank today and noticed (while viewing with a magnifier lens) some tiny (microscopic) things moving around on the glass. They looked like specs of dust on the glass, but they were moving in a way that could only suggest that they were alive. I got out my reading glasses and put a jeweler's loop on them to get a closer look. I tried to take a photo of them using the macro setting on my camera, but they are too small to photograph without a special lens. So, I drew a sketch (I am not an artist!) to see if someone could help me identify them and tell me whether or not they are harmful.
The critters are beige colored with two antennae in the front and two long tiny hair-like things coming out the back. The ball on the tail (left sketch) is white, but not all of the critters have them. (maybe an egg-sac?) They have what looks like a vein running through the middle like you would see on a shrimp.
I can only see them on the glass, but I saw one get carried away in the tank current, so I am sure they are all over the tank... probably hundreds, maybe thousands!
I looked for "tiny saltwater critters" using Google and the nearest I can come up with is that they may be some kind of pod.
Can someone help me identify these things?

censeoflife

Plankton

plankt10.jpg

A

Anonymous

you mean squidward? anyways, they could be copeopods or another lil critter.

lars on

Well lets get back on topic.

Copeopods are normal in a saltwater tank, lots of fish and inverts eat them. Your tank is fine. :) Healthy even.

SEAF

Thanks for the help

Well, I guess they are nothing to worry about. So, unless I notice problems I'll let the little critters run rampant! :D Thanks to all who answered.

lars on

Your tank is a 125 right? After your tank establishes ALOT and you have those things bustin out of EVERY CRACK of your live rock, look into getting a Mandarin. Beautiful reef safe fish that THRIVE with live copepods, only thing they will eat! :)

Good luck with the tank!

12725d1234717561-what-fish-eats-copepods-green_mandarin.jpg
<--- Green target mandarin!

SEAF

Beautiful fish!

That looks like one pricey fish! This is my first saltwater tank. I am a beginner, so I can't justify buying something expensive (can't afford it either!) for my 20 gallon tank until I get a little more experience under my belt. My current livestock; aside from all the worms, feather dusters, spiney starfish and other tiny rock-dwelling critters; consists of two Blue Damsels, three Hermit Crabs, one Nassarius Snail, four Turbo Snails, a couple of Mushrooms and a few small sponges. Almost added a Maroon Clown, but found out they are not always reef safe. There's a picture of my tank in the show and tell section.

lars on

They are actually under 30$ i believe! :)

OHH!! your tank is a 20 gallon?? YEah, steer so freaking clear of this mandarin then. I thought you had a HUGEE tank.

Damsels are the meanest little fish. Maroons are almost always reef safe actually, they host anemones and such, beautiful fish, almost get black when they grow up. Those turbo snails are ABSOLUTLEY filthy, two of them overtook my 10 gallon with shit, got rid of them as soon as I could.

But good luck on your tank! I would get rid of those damsels and get a goby and some clowns. Im tryna think of other fish you could get, reef safe of course

lars on

Ill just put a few but i know you prolly already know what they are. These guys are cheap for SW fish, beautiful to! :)

Fire Goby - under 30$ (THESE GUYS JUMP, they need a glass lid!)
gobyredfire.jpg

There are tons of watchmans and other types of gobys, some stay small and nano, while others can hit 8" i believe, most are under 30$ to
goby.jpg

Heres a lightning maroon clownfish, he will only run ya 3 grand
remote_image_9204_0.jpg

Spotted pixie hawkfish
barsch_02.jpg

Bangai Cardinals are also a nano type fish, hit 3" max under 30$
bangaiicardinal1.jpg

And as you know, there are like 90 million clownfish varieties, ranging from 14$ to 3000$

my fav clowns are the pink skunk
Skunk+Clownfish.jpg