What are some good African Cichlid choices for a 20gal tank

stierwalt3

I'm putting my wife's 20 gallon tank back together and she wants some African Cichlids! I know the tank is kinda on the small side,but we plan to upgrade to a bigger tank eventually. Can you give us some suggestions on fish that will work in a smaller tank for awhile.

Thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

I have 10 F1 Saulosi growing out in a 25 gallon tank. They will be OK in there for a while.

Addictedtofish

I have 8 lamprologus ocellatus in a 20 right now, was thinking of trying to put some rock work in the tank and see if I can put a trip of julidochromis in with them.

sandnuka

Dwarfs, apistos, Rams, all are great....cichlids..... only problem, once a pair forms everyone else pretty much dies.

Madness

Staff member
If my son was on here he would say, peacocks (Aulonocara's), yellow blaze (Otopharynx Lithobates), Altolamprologus compressiceps (Red Fin), Shellies, and Neolamprologus brichardi

But if it were me, I love the look and the colors of the Yellow Blaze. But I am also partial to the Auloncara's. Love them also.

sandnuka

I got a breeding trio... be perfect then ;) .... check out the freshwater fish for sale, sunshine peacock! Then you can sell the babies! or raise them up, thats always fun. and I am not too far from ya.

sunshi10.jpg

stierwalt3

WOW! I was out of town for a couple of days and look at all the responses...you guys are awesome! Anyway the Lithobates and the sunshine peacocks the wife really likes the looks of....It's gonna be a tough decision.

Sandnuka- Those are some nice fish...I'm starting a fishless cycle today on the tank if i can find some ammonia. If you still have the peacocks when the tank is ready,i just might take them off your hands. BTW what fish is that in your avatar pic!? The wife really likes that one!

Thanks again everybody! :beer:

sandnuka

I still have the three for sale.... and I can help ya with the cycle if you want... I have couple used sponge filters, your tank would be ready in a week if you use them....

The avatar picture is of another african, Tropheus..... There are so many types of tropheus, and sooo many colors, but they are not a 20gal or even 30gal fish.... they need a colony of itleast 10, and a 55gal tank at min. actually my tropheus kasanga red rainbows (like the avatar) were spawning today and I got a holding female too. :) but again, I dont think those guys are for you.

Madness

Staff member
It looks like my son's Jacobfreibergi "Eureka" is holding. He may have some little ones here soon, and be ready to sell them if your interested in a couple months. Get that bigger tank going. So many awesome fish, and you can't stop at just one. :D

stierwalt3

madness said:
It looks like my son's Jacobfreibergi "Eureka" is holding. He may have some little ones here soon, and be ready to sell them if your interested in a couple months. Get that bigger tank going. So many awesome fish, and you can't stop at just one. :D
Those are great looking fish as well! Your right the choices are endless!

I think were gonna go with Pseudotropheus saulosi in a 55gal tank...that it don't have yet and Sandnuka's Sunshine Peacocks in the 20gal for now! :lol:

sandnuka

hey, you want to check out our group buy? in the market area go to group buy and check out reserve stock cichlids... great prices, and shippin will be cheap if everyone that says they are gonna buy will still buy. :) gonna be orderin next week. check it out! they dont have saulousi though.