What an Idiot

unconv-reefer

The title says it all but;

I'm only posting this to show we all make mistakes so................

Let's start by; I was trying an experiment by raising my salinity to see the color changes in my coral going from .024-.026 slowly over a month time.

Here is where I was and idiot, I ALWAYS check my salinity before water changes, this last Sunday I rushed the WC as people were coming by, I did the typical these day and added a slight amount more salt than usual and your guessed it I forgot to check my salinity, IDIOT :violent:

Thing are fine that night, things look okay not great but chaulked it up to the WC, next day I ask how everything looks, my wife say okay not as good as normal .......fine not too worried. I get home and look and I have some LPS bleaching (from bright green to almost white), leathers not happy, shrooms not happy, SPS some okay some not, SOB what is going on...........half way through dinner DUH, I jump up and check my salinity,.... you're an IDIOT, .033. :affraid: ....... think I'm not in panic mode and beating myself up, worst part only have 7 1/2 gallons of good water handy, drain 5g check, not good off to get distilled, needless to say I went to bed with it at .028-.029 this morning .028, still needs to be lowered but I'm late and want to see how the day progresses.

Called the wife and things are much better, color's are coming back all corals appear happy, I'll know more in a few hours.

So see, I've been doing this for years, wont claim to be an expert but come on it's a friggin WC................IDIOT :violent:

Side note, those corals I posted in the show and tell, the pictures were from last night, thankfully they weren't affected :D

See we all do dumb things.....................some of us dumber than others :D

unconv-reefer

Yeah, me too, would hate to lose something from me being an Idiot, hopefully this will make others realize we all do it and ask questions fast, I'm just happy I can look at my tank and know if it is okay or having an issue

lilfishie

Yeah its funny how you can tell if something is just a little off by they way the coral is looking. And it could be just a suttle change too that makes you think and check to see if something is wrong.

unconv-reefer

Now if I could only teach the wife and kids to be able to do that so I could catch it sooner :D
Okay, the wife is getting there but the kids yeah that'll be the day the youngest is 17 and still doesn't realize what all is in there

unconv-reefer

Update

Everything looks good tonight except the toadstools and leathers ( don't look bad just pouting), but I'm used them pouting here or there, reminds me of kids

Thankfully I caught it in time, still a hair high .027 but that can be corrected

Lesson Learned

lilfishie

Hey, I know how much these corals cost and how much we put into taking care of them to make them grow and look Beautiful. To have something crazy happen and start things dying is really depressing. Its hard to reverse that sometimes even when you know what the problem is and when you can its sometimes a miracle.

unconv-reefer

Update; Nothing lost everyone looking good
11-1511.jpg
[/img]
This is the leather I wasn't sure about
11-1512.jpg
[/img]
Clam happy and growing
11-159.jpg
[/img]
11-15.jpg

11-156.jpg

unconv-reefer

Glad to hear that, Spyral

Thanks all, this was my first clam surprised at how fast they grow it's still small 4" across x 21/2 tall (approx), How long have you had your large one, Lilfishie