We're getting a convert.....

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
When my daughter was home visiting in September, she accompanied me on my first visit to the Aquarium Co-op. Besides falling in love with Murphy the Puffer, she enjoyed looking around in the store and also appreciated the help we got with all our questions about plants. Last year, for the holidays, I got her a betta bowl / plant holder thing off amazon. She can't have pets where she lives in WA D.C. so why not have a little fishie? She just set the thing up (she moved) and "Jeff" (new her betta) seems unreasonably cramped in these new quarters - even though it was advertised as appropriate. Ugh. I agreed that this was unacceptable. So, for the holidays this year, I've offered to buy her a brand new Nano Tank of some kind. Go pick one, I said.

I sent her to youtube (she already watches Cory's videos) for some unboxing vids on Nano tanks and I excitedly await her choice! I wonder what she'll choose??? I think I already know what I would pick. Her criteria is that it has to be small - certainly in the 10 gallon range - and suitable for Jeff.

What would you pick?

FishBeast

They are all cool looking! Congrats! I like Fluval Spec.

Also, i might be cheaper to put one together with some glass from a glass shop and silicone. Lots of vids on youtube!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
They are all cool looking! Congrats! I like Fluval Spec.

Also, i might be cheaper to put one together with some glass from a glass shop and silicone. Lots of vids on youtube!

Ohhh I'm not the handy type. We'll be buying that tank, Dear Sir!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Well, I'm impulsive so I couldn't wait - although I am very interested in everyone's fav nano tanks.... I went with the Fluval Spec III. It will deliver to her this weekend. Jeff will have a nice place to swim now! I got her the white one.

WHAT FUN!!!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
The eagle has landed -- actually Saturday -- waiting for pics of the set up. Yesterday, she had free tickets to something which she chose OVER setting up a new tank???? I don't get that at all.

FishBeast

The eagle has landed -- actually Saturday -- waiting for pics of the set up. Yesterday, she had free tickets to something which she chose OVER setting up a new tank???? I don't get that at all.
Kids!! I would TRADE tickets for the chance to set up a new tank :)

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I wish I knew how to print out text chats like you can on iPhone. Anyway, this is how this morning's convo went:

Rhiannon (daughter) - * Texts a Picture of her tank with 1 real plant and a piece of wood floating in it.*
Rhiannon: Woke up this morning and the tank water is dark brown. What. The. F**. I set it up last night. Watched the guy do it on the video. (Pecktec, on YouTube by the way) I had to rescue Jeff out of there and put him back in his prison.

Me: It's probably the tannins from the wood. Use your charcoal in teh filter and it will clean up with time. Those tannins aren't going to harm Jeff at all.

Rhiannon: TANNINS????? (this is a reference to our favorite movie, The Bird Cage)

Rhiannon: LOL

Me: LOL@ Bird Cage reference

Rhiannon: I was doing my Nathan Lane impression, thank you.

Me: some people buy these big leaves to MAKE their water brown with tannins....don't worry.

Rhiannon: Thanks Mama.

I promise to post a pic one of these days soon. She'd be embarrassed if I passed along her brown water photo at this point....

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
STILL waiting for a new shot of Jeff in his new tank.....

I think she's like me, she doesn't want to show off a tank until it's "done" - but she hasn't yet figured out (like me) that they're NEVER 'done'. lol

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
FINALLY! (Pics or it didn't happen, right?) Images of the infamous Betta Tank in WA DC at my daughter's place. At first, it appeared that she got real plants in there - but now I don't think that's the case from the pics. Cory @ The Co-Op told me that real plants in our aquariums is way more of a West Coast thing. He also said there's a real active aquarium plant hobbyist club in WA DC. I think that's fascinating. Those folks are REBELS!

One thing Rhiannon commented on was the blue cast to the lights. She doesn't like this. Prefers a warmer/yellower glow. I see in forums where this is a common complaint. Anyone else encounter this and fix that to their liking?

She also wanted all of us Fish Nerds (she's one too, by the way) that she bought a mid-century modern table just for Jeff's tank so he can be cool like that. The bottom pic is "Jeff mad after a water change.", she said.

It's really fun to share this hobby with your kids.

Jeffs Tank.jpg Jeffs tank 2.jpg

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
WELL. To update a VERY OLD thread - but hey, why not?

Jeff the Betta is RIP. Rhiannon (my daughter in WA DC) woke up Friday morning and saw her pleco (I forget his name) eating on the dead body of Jeff.

They DO that? I thought Plecos were like, vegetarian?

She's devastated. She really loved Jeff. Even her roommate is verklempt over the loss.

I would expect something like this from my catfish, Mr. Magic, but not a little bristlenose pleco.... Am I wrong?

Betty

Staff member
I don't know if they require some meat or protein, but they will eat it if it's there -- at least mine do -- nls pellets, brine and mysis shrimp, earthworm pellets and the occasional dead body.

I'm sure the pleco didn't kill Jeff though! I don't mean that they will go after a living fish!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I don't know if they require some meat or protein, but they will eat it if it's there -- at least mine do -- nls pellets, brine and mysis shrimp, earthworm pellets and the occasional dead body.

I'm sure the pleco didn't kill Jeff though! I don't mean that they will go after a living fish!

It's funny you say that. She also did some online investigation and feels now that Jeff must have had a little Betta heart attack or something. lol