Well, I'm stumped, discus problems.

thecarl

One of my discus didn't like the move to the 75 gallon tank. He stopped eating, was swimming kind of odd with more tail movement than normal discus swimming has. He would nip at the plants and sides of the tank but not touch any food. Treated the tank with metro and erythromycin, which cleared up other issues in the tank (blue green algae). This discus is also has been breathing a little heavier than normal.

Thursday night he started sitting on his side at the bottom of the tank, still breathing heavy. At this point I went to move him to the hospital tank, when the net got near him he got up and darted off. Ended up taking the whole tank apart to get him out. Now hes in the 20 gallon hospital tank, I treated him with clout to see if it would help. His breathing is much better but he's still laying on his side, not eating. He does get up every few minutes or so to swim normally and then lays back down.

Any ideas? I attached a couple of photos.

IMG_1319-X2.jpg

IMG_0536-XL.jpg

Take what I say with a grain of salt...I've never had discus. I've been lurking on forums and researching them for the past month or so.

I've found the "Emergency Room" threads over on Simply Discus pretty educational. Their questionnaire alone makes you really break down what has been going on. See: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?34-Emergency-Room.

My prediction would be that they'd tell you to do 90-100% daily water changes for a good while to see if that fixes it. Medicate only if you know what is wrong.

I did see one person recommend throwing another healthy discus in the hospital, to kick the competitive feeding thing in, with them being social and all.

thecarl

From my best guess, and what Mac's Discus told me is that it's a swim bladder issue, which is what I've been suspecting all a long. In theory it'll clear up with time. If I could only get him to eat now. He gets to stay in the 20 gallon quarantine at 90F until he starts to eat and put on weight.