Water Lettuce and Guppy Grass Worth Anything?

lymitliss

Hey guys, I was just wondering if Guppy Grass and Water Lettuce is worth my time trying to sell or trade. I recently got the Finnex Ray Planted+ and my plants are out of control, they practically multiply over night. I was just wondering if they are worth my time trying to sell or trade for other aquarium goodies, or if I should just throw some out when my tank gets too full. I know they're not rare plants and they are easy to get, but I don't want to waste them either.

Thanks!

Chiisai

Not sure about guppy grass but water lettuce is pretty prolific. I bought 2 for my koi pond and now they are in every fish tank i own. I swear it doubles in amount every week lol. Good luck!

lymitliss

Yeah that's kind of what I figured! I just feel guilty throwing it out so I was hoping to find an alternative.

LuminousAphid

guppy grass might sell ok, but you won't get a ton for it; you see how easy it is to grow. try getting some decently fast-growing stem plants to stock with if you want to sell extra plants- i'm sure you will get better return for your time

LuminousAphid

don't feel guilty- i pour out tons of plants whenever i trim because i know i won't get enough out of them to make it worth the trip

Livebearer

I've seen what your calling guppy grass "Najas" go for upwards of 16.oo for a 1/4lb bag at GSAS auctions. It also gives off Co2 and is a great plant for shrimp tanks. Fish don't eat it also...
Try trading your cuttings for store credit at a LFS. I haven't seen any in stores I've visited recently....

If you have friends with turtles, I've been told that you could feed the water lettuce to turtles. So, there's that...at least. :D

Not many LFS will charge much for Dwarf Water Lettuce... maybe a little for Guppy Grass, but yeah, like what LuminousAphid said, if you concentrate more on other stem plants, those grow pretty quickly, and you will get more out of those, than Dwarf Water Lettuce, or Guppy Grass. :)

A

Anonymous

lymitliss said:
Yeah that's kind of what I figured!  I just feel guilty throwing it out so I was hoping to find an alternative.
I can relate to this.  I like giving it away rather than tossing it. At times that's just not practical. If you are moving toward high light maybe try some other species of plants that grow slower? Both those plants you have are turbo nutrient suckers. Since you added more light they probably sucked all the other nutrients out of the water. Even your nitrates maybe lower :)

LuminousAphid

seeing this thread again sort of made me want to start a tank with all guppy grass... i think it might be pretty cool looking and the water would be pristine haha