water dechlorinator / conditioner

L190

Out of curiosity, I was just wondering what product people on the box use to dechlorinate water? I use sodium thiosulfate. What do you guys use, is there an advantage of one product vs another?

Madness

Staff member
Sodium Thiosulfate will not remove or neutralize chlormines, and it only lasts in liquid form a few weeks.

Carbon is not a good source of dechlorination, it removes everything from the water, bad, good, everything. All nutrients that a nice water change provides to our glass pets, is removed by the carbon. Hole in the head is linked to the use of carbon. I would refrain from using it even if you have been for many years, the negatives out weigh the positives 100 fold. Carbon should only be used to remove odor and medication, and these can also be removed by doing your do diligence and frequent water changes.

I use Seachem SAFE, same as Prime but in powder form.

Betty

Staff member
I use SAFE as well. A little goes a long way. I've had my container of it since... forever. :D

anthony

I use prime. 5ml of prime treats 50 gallons With a lot of other liquid conditioners 10 ml only treats 10 gallons so with the other brands you can use 1/4 to 1/2 the bottle in one water change. I'm sure you could use the whole bottle on a huge tank. I've been thinking of trying to go without this stuff I feel like it might be unnecessary for normal 20% water changes It's an experiment I haven't got around to yet. Does any one on here not use this stuff????? It appears that the guy was using carbon we know carbon is not doing any thing so maybe water conditioner is not even necessary in partial water changes. Chlorine is supposed to evaporate when it hits the air .

Madness

Staff member
I do not use it at all times, I use SAFE when doing large changes or when my tap water smells like a swimming pool.

L190

Madness I believe sodium thiosulfate will break chloramine apart and neutralize the chlorine part but not the ammonia that is produced. I believe the bacteria will take care of the ammonia in a cycled tank. The only problem I can think of is if you do a huge water change in a high ph enviroment.

flamechica

I use the API Tap Water Conditioner that comes in the little dropper bottle. They have two kinds of conditioner. One that uses several mls per so many gallons and then this one that is 2 drops per gallon (or 1/4 tsp per 20g). This lasts me much longer than other brands I have tried.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the tanks I deal with are on a drip system. But on tanks at home. I use Prime and Ultimate, depending on what is handy. Pond is Prime for sure. Ultimate has extra buffer in it which is nice when I'm breeding stuff in lower pH etc.

I use Seachem SAFE... basically a concentrated powdered form of Seachem Prime, which is great for treating A LOT of water. A little goes a long way and will last you for months (years? Depending on how many tanks you have, etc...)

for $20, you can get an 8.8oz container of Seachem SAFE, which will treat ....... a butt ton of water. (I forgot the exact figures. LOL)

However, I saw this in the Q&A section:
1 gram of Safe treats of 200 gallons, 1 ml of Prime 10 gallons.
250 grams of Safe treats of 50,000 gallons, 500 ml of Prime 5,000 gallons. Thus, you get more for your money :).

http://www.amazon.com/Safe-250-g-8-8-oz ... 2D4B9CA974