~~~Water Change Question~~~

Wolf-Keeper1

Ok so I know that water changes are vital to fishes survival aswell as growth. My question is, "Is there a such thing as too much water changing"? I have a little goal
in mind that has to do with growth. So would 3 50% water changes aswell as 3 vacums a week
be bad, as far as good bacteria goes?

That's it. That's my question. Thanks in advance.

Cole99v

Yes you can change too much water, customers come in with that happening all the time. It can possibly just "start you cycle" all over again.

Wolf-Keeper1

Lol. I have actually just done that in my 5 footer. But the big difference was I also changed/cleaned my canister filter aswell. But if I don't change the canister at all do you think that might work??

Addictedtofish

IMO I would do no more than a 50% once a week ideally 25 to 30%. Depending on how many filters you have in your aquarium I wouldnt clean your filter no more than once every two weeks to once a month and never clean all filters at once, otherwise you would be starting your cycle all over again. The size of fish you have right now in your tank are considered juveniles to adults and they dont need that many water changes for growth. Fry and other specialty fish like discus need multiple water changes a week.

protocl

IMO: 50% WC every 3rd week. A 20% the 4th week.
Canister filter cleaning: once every month, but never both at the same time; right after a large WC.

A total clean out should be a canister or a tank, never both.
If wanting clearer water, less feeding and add a water polisher fabric.

Now, this is strictly my approach. Results may vary and all that stuff.

larry.beck

The rules do change for fry, by the way. Changing up to 50% every other day with mbuna fry is a great way to speed their growth. I don't do it (because I'm lazy :p), but know many that do.

Ashley

I would not do a 50% water change. I think that is too much. I if you really want to do a lot of water changes I would do like 25-25% daily or every other day. Just my opinion but I think 50% is too much

Salzabar

So many variables makes the answer to this question a tough one. I can give you an example: on my little 50 gallon planted tank which houses my breeding pair of bloodparrots I do a 50% WC every Saturday and vacuum half the gravel ( the half that does not contain plants) and the filters are cleaned once a month in a rotation, magnum 350 in October and the emp 400 in November and so on. This has worked for me for over 10 years on that tank but that schedule is determined by the stocking level and the amount of food the tank gets. Now the 29 gallon breeding angelfish tank gets only 20% WC once a week but the same filter cleaning rotation as my 50. My 110 Planted tank gets maybe 10% WC a week and since I have only biowheels attached to 350 magnums with floss media I clean the filters once a year. So many variables makes tank maintenance not an exact science but a work in progress finding the , if you will, the perfect balance of the tank. Takes years even if you have read every book on the planet to find it. IMO

Wolf-Keeper1

Wow you guys, so much good feed back and experience to back your claims that's awesome and very insightful. I guess lots to consider on this one. Thanks everyone.

The growth goal was for my payara. They like lots of clean warm water and some good currents. And from what I was reading from peopleS personal experience with this fish is that. They seen the most growth inside the sump. Yep the sump. I'm guessing do to the extreme current. And high activity of the fish trying to stay balanced. I was also going to add some sump pumps maybe two, instead of just powerheads. For my water movements to try and best simulate the natural habitat where they are found. Thanks everyone much appreciated.

sandnuka

I go by my nitrate level for how much water to change.... if its way high I will do 50% water change.... Pretty much i try to keep it between 10 - 20ppm.... substrate helps allot with that... like my soil planted tanks I rarely have to do any WC... but my bare bottom tanks have to be changed 50%+ daily.

TRD_Power

I do one 30% change every week and my fish are as healthy as can be. My Barracuda produces a lot of waste, as do my Clown Loache's, but I vacuum the gravel once a week while I do the water changed and all is well. You definitely don't want to do any more than 50% a week, IMO. When I first started my tank, I would do around 80% a week and the water was far from stable. Live plants, plenty of filtration, and Prime are what I rely on :) Also, I am running two HOB Aquaclear 110's and clean one a week, switching off. I didn't read all the posts in here, so I don't know if this helps at all, haha.

Kianna

If you're just looking to do this temporarily for growth its fine IMO. Usually when you're looking for growth you'll add increased temp to stimulate metabolism thus more feedings therefore larger more often water changes. People who raise Discus do it all the time! I have several tanks I do this on without any problems. When doing larger more often W/C just remember that the filters will require less maintenance. After obtaining the growth you're looking for cut back on temp, feedings and water changes gradually in order to give the beneficial bacteria time to build back up to sustain the increase in waste because of the cut back in water changes.

Fern

I only vacuum once a month if that, some tanks only get a hover and no more. Filters get rinsed once a month or sooner if they need it. But I don't do both within a week of each other.
Weekly water changes on the adults tanks. The fry tanks get as many water changes as I can do on them!