Was wondering if anyone had any experience with Bluefin Killifish?

Sean Pratt

Hi, i'm new to the forum and a fledgling hobbyist, and was wondering if anyone had experience with the Bluefin Killifish, I am absolutely in love with this fishes appearance (Earth tones with some tropical colors thrown in) and have a heavily planted 40 gallon breeder tank and a not yet setup 10 gallon, and was wondering if anyone had experience with their temperament towards other fish species and behavior in general as there is next to nothing online . Tank mates for them in the 40 would be 10 White Cloud Minnows, a large King Betta (Flares at the minnows, but doesn't really harass to any extent), 5 Nerites, some wild ghost shrimp, and some baby pond snails. Thanks in advance for the help :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Welcome to the Fishbox!

There are a few here that have experience with Killi's so they should be able to help more than I can. Just wanted to welcome you aboard.

Betty

Staff member
@Sean Pratt, by any chance are you a member of the GSAS (Greater Seattle Aquarium Society)? I'm sure some of the members there have killifish experience if no one here is able to help. They are having the big auction this Saturday and might even have killis available.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
@sir_keith, you able to help our newest member @Sean Pratt?

Not so much. I've always admired the killies, and have had several friends that kept them, but the only killifish I've ever kept myself- and now keep- is Lamprichthys tanganicanus, the Tanganyika killifish. Yes, they are true killifish taxonomically, but they are so vastly different from mainstream killifish biologically that you'd think they were unrelated. Most killies are tiny, and live in seasonal puddles; you can keep them in fishbowls. L. tanganicanus grows to 6", comes from the second largest lake on Earth, and needs at least a 55 gallon tank and lots of open swimming space to thrive in captivity.

As for 'Bluefin Killifish,' there are two species that go by this common name- Nothobranchius rachovii, also called the Bluefin Notho, a native of East Africa-

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

And Lucania goodei, whose type locality is Florida!

Algae-Eating-Bluefin-Killifish-Male-2.jpg

Sounds like @Sean Pratt is talking about Lucania goodei. I've never seen these in real life, but basically they're a small minnow, and I expect they'd be very happy in @Sean Pratt's setup, if you can find them.

Good luck!