Was being sold as a Jack Dempsey

SEAF

I had a fish last year that looked very similar called a Thoricthys Aureum Red. This is a Central American fish, much like a Firemouth, with less of the red on the bottom and more on the side. The red will become more pronounced as it matures. Oh good! I found the picture of it. I was hoping I saved it. This one is about 4-5 inches. The previous owner told me is was wild caught and he thought it was a female

Madness

Staff member
Nice looking fish. Here is a picture of mine today.

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Definitely a red dev.

A

Anonymous

wow no kidding a big change.

learned something new here,,,,thanks

clownie

Looks really close to a aurem to me.

Just saw the last pic...WOW what a morph! Don't think I ahave ever witness such a drastic change in color.

fishman09

Funny to see a thread like this posted by this sites most respected CA breeder only just a couple years ago. Buying mystery petsmart fish and call it definitely a red devil... :wall:

If the Madness from today saw this thread posted by someone else... :D

Madness

Staff member
True that, but I dont think that anyone even as early as 2 years ago was nearly as knowledgeable and educated about the RD/ Midas issues, as they are today. A lot of articles and info have come out just over the last year on these fish.

Then again this hobby is always evolving and if you are a true hobbyist and have a passion for the hobby, you never stop learning and you always stay open minded. And continue on the more we read and research, the more we learn. Hell, just 2 years ago I was only pushing 300 gallons of water and 15 fish. Now I am close to 4000gal and over 30 species and 1000 fish, with about 12 breeding pairs. (can we say MTS?. and MFS?) :D

I will say that I have learned a lot over these past 2 years, and I am sure that in 2015 I will look back at this thread and say that I have learned even more.

Its nice to see how much we all have evolved, by looking at these old threads.

Anthraxx

Always nice to look back and see how much weve truly learned. i know i made some classic mistakes over the years just like anyone else.