Was being sold as a Jack Dempsey

Madness

Staff member
This fish was at a fish store in the Dempsey tank, and they were trying to say that it was a Dempsey. I don't think so, I told them. They said yes it is, so I bought it just to see what it may turn out to be. You never know, right?

:face:

Thanks for your help on this one.

alexmuw

Post a few pics of the face.

It's an American cichlid. Maybe Trimac or Flowerhorn ?
NOT a Jack Dempsey (LFS and their ignorance, so funny)

sandnuka

I never saw a flowerhorn like that.... it has a really bright orange... almost like a firemouth... crazy! looks pretty sweet.... Are the eyes pink? red? where is all our south american & New world cichlid experts in here?!

Dempsey sell super cheap, bet you got it for a great price then right? mind if I ask how much?

alexmuw

Trimacs have red bellies. Could be a flowerhorn (w/ trimac genes)
looks like it has red eyes (more trimac genes)

shua

i see the orange now donno how i missed that

more pics of front and side and we will get it

sandnuka

How about convict females and there super bright orange belly when breeding... that kinda reminded me of it when I saw your fish.... Kinda faded vertical lines too..... So, although i am really no good at S. American and New world cichlids, Im gonna take a stabb and say Cross Flowerhorn - convict.... Hopefully we get some more opinions on this one though. Im super curious what it really is.
(attached pic of female convict w/ orange and vertical lines)

convic10.jpg

sandnuka

ive never seen a red eyed, green firemouth though.... lol, maybe firemouth cross green terror?? lol... This is making me crazy!

Madness

Staff member
I will try and get more pics of it, my camera battery died. It might be tomorrow morning before I can.

It is in my 135 with my 10" , 7" & 4" Dempsey's and 2 - 4" Firemouths, and 3 - 6" Red devils. I also have 2 Jags 1.5", in there and it sort of hangs out with them. Though they do go after it at times, but it doesn't back down. It is definitely an aggressive little snot. :punk:

On a different note, Have any of you ever seen a yellow Red Devil? I will post a pic of that also.

Just curious. :scratch:

Oh, I paid $6 for it. I figured it may be well worth it. :cheers:

Madness

Staff member
Well I tried to get some pics on a little battery juice. I swear whenever I want to take pictures, the Red Devils always have to get into the pic. Well, I ran out of battery trying. It will have to be tomorrow.

But, I did notice that the eyes do have red in them, as do all of the fins. They have a red tint to them, while the body is a touch of yellowish.

So, while you all stew over that and wait patiently for me to post another pic. Let me know what you all think of my Yellow red Devil. Is it a Red devil or is it something else? I was told it was wild caught.

sandnuka

definetly a red devil.... White and yellow are not really common for red devils, but they are out there.... You see more peach, pink, orange, orange/white mix I think are the more common ones. I know bassman had a bunch of amp. so he is the master on these guys, actually waiting for his opinion on the first guy too. :)

icer711

if you got it from pet smart i think its a fire-mouth i have seen them mixed in with the Dempseys many times now

Will I am

Red devils come in all sorts of colors. There's even a blue devil. Check Jeff Rapps out at tangledupincichlids.com I believe he even has a wild white female. I have a F1 red devil that I purchased from him not to long ago.

Madness

Staff member
Here we go. I got a couple more pics. I have 2 Firemouths and 2 Helleris, this is somewhat similar but yet so different. Today it took on my Jag and the Jag backed down. The Jag is 2.5" and this guy is just over an inch, maybe 1.5"

The Yellow Devil of mine is about 6".

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

sandnuka

Great pictures.... but I will tell you I am more confused than before! lol, I would say a hybrid cross of something.... I have never seen anything before like it.... thats why Im thinkin a cross hybrid. :)

Bassman42

I think it's an Amphilophous (Red Devil Type) of some sort. You are just going to have to wait and see how it colors up.

Madness

Staff member
Well here are a couple updated pics on my Petsmart special.

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]