Want to build first sump

Bob

Wanting to build my first sump for my 90 acrylic with built in overflow. Looking for a good resource to learn how.
I have scoured youtube but really havent found any decent videos. I have a couple tanks to choose from, 20l, 20h, 40 breeder 55.
Just looking for a good starting point.

Thanks

Bob

I am using the 90 reef ready i got from you. Fresh water probably cichlids.

A

Anonymous

Hi Vicmacki,
I just typed in 'DYI aquarium sump' and a bunch of how to stuff came up on my search engine. Even youtube videos. I didn't watch them so I can not testify to if they are what you are looking for...

If you go begin this project and if you are interested in journaling the project I would be interested in following your build.

Bob

I am almost done restoring this tank. Needed some sanding and buffing. I am definitely not at expert at this but it is looking better than when i started. Next part is sealing a hole someone drilled in the middle then resealed it with silicone. Well that lasted just a few minutes after filling it with water. I am taking pictures a long the way. Along with he the sump i will be building my first stand for it too. So it will be a nice long project.

Bob

I gotta say i am quickly losing motivation on this project. Seems for ever scratch i buff out two more appear. Really starting to hate acrylic lol.

A

Anonymous

Ugh.... Wish I could help. I've never tried buffing acrylic, sounds tedious. Remember scratches disappear once underwater. So if they are super tiny most likely they won't be visible once full of water.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Vicmacki said:
I gotta say i am quickly losing motivation on this project. Seems for ever scratch i buff out two more appear. Really starting to hate acrylic lol.
Yeah, been there. I bought a nice acyrlic bowfront that was in pretty decent shape on C-list but still ended up buffing it to get it up to my liking. I did it by hand with the Novus kit and it came out good but took forever to do. I recently had to buff out my car headlights and bought a Meguires $25 kit at Autozone that uses a polish and drill. I think this would work awesome on a tank. I dont have anything to test it out on just yet but I might try it the next time I flip a tank to sell.

Bob

Before

After

A few dog hairs that look like scratches :lol:

Still not sure why someone would want a hole in the middle, but once my weld on arrives ill patch that up and see what it looks like with water in it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I would love to have a drain like that! I would put in a bulkhead fitting and a low profile suction strainer and plumb it with a shut off underneath so I could attach a hose and do fast water drains.

Tank is looking good! Your elbow grease has paid off and that will look awesome once its filled.

Bob

DMD123 said:
I would love to have a drain like that! I would put in a bulkhead fitting and a low profile suction strainer and plumb it with a shut off underneath so I could attach a hose and do fast water drains.

Well that makes a lot of sense, now i have more research to do.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have lots of large cichlids and like to feed them so I do lots of water changes. If I had a fast water removal method like that it would be quick and easy to do large water changes. I would love having that!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Sand would likely get sucked into it. I have sand in my tank but would likely consider gravel if I were to have a set up like that.

A

Anonymous

The 'drain' hole very well could have been used as a water return hidden under rocks or corals. I've seen many saltwater set ups with under gravel water return jets to throughly move water around within rocks and corals.

Madness

Staff member
The only problem with using it as a return is that if power goes out then u just lost all of the water in your tank. I have this as well and used 1 as a supply but had to install an expensive 1-way valve so that if there is a power loss the valve will close.

I also have one that I use like 'D' explained. I have an 1 1/4" drain hose that i hook up to it, yes sand will get sucked out to a point, so just put the other end of the hose into a filter sock that catches the sand, and just replace the sand back into the tank when done.