Walstad-Esque Tank

mrsashleyodell

I set my tank up last Saturday and even added guppies the same day. The water is still not crystal clear like my other tanks. I've done 1 water change so far and have another scheduled for tomorrow, but it didn't help clear the water. I'm not sure if I just need to add more plants or if time will solve the problem. The fish appear to have settled in well and spend their day searching for food in the sand. The male seems to prefer the blue female over the peach colored one. I can't wait to see their babies either way.

Day 1

Day 6

sandnuka

Looks allot clearer.... not crystal, but its soil and sand substrate just needs more time to settle down..... I used to use a liquid that came with the sand I purchased that kinda worked as a magnet to settle the sand... but I always used it before adding fish cause I hate using chemicals after fish are in there..... I honestly dont remember the name, it came with the black and white sand you get at petsmart... maybe you can find it? but I would just let it settle for another week before really doing anything... I think it looks super good though. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I love the look of live plants but Im too chicken to try! Very nice looking! :clap:

mrsashleyodell

I finally remembered to buy some sea clear to attach the background I bought last weekend. I also added some new plants and MTS (lined up at the front) from Denny's Pet World. By tomorrow, the water should be clearer as a result of the new plants, floating plants, and 50% water change.

Day 7

mrsashleyodell

I use a mini gravel vac until I get tired of holding the bucket up (it has to be above the tank). Then I use a plastic cup. I fill the cup with clean water and submerge it bottom side down into the tank. As I lift it back up, I slowly tilt it to the side. The water comes out without disturbing anything else.

mrsashleyodell

The water is pretty clear now, even if it doesn't look like it in the picture. I'm not sure why I can't get as good of a photo of the 5.5G as I can with my other tanks. The picture still looks good though and all three of the guppies posed for me.

Day 9

sandnuka

that thing is gonna be so crowded! gonna have to do some major trimming... I got so much growth from my NPT in just a month..... I even saw some pearling of my plants a few times! :) was very cool to know your plants are so happy they cry oxygen! lol

Yoru tank is looking fantastic though, I love it... very very good setup.

mrsashleyodell

Just a few hours after my last update, I had to rush my husband to the ER. He's fine, but I ended up basically neglecting my fish for 3 days while I was at the hospital. Fortunately, the fish all held up and are doing fine. In fact, I met Kaosu in Seattle today to buy some Tiger Shrimp from her. I did a 1.5 gallon water change and added the new shrimp just minutes ago.

Day 17 - I did a 2 hour drip to acclimate the shrimp

Close up of one in the tank

mrsashleyodell

The shrimp have been playing tricks on me. All of Tuesday and Wednesday, they stayed on their backs breathing rapidly. Today, however, all 10 came running when I dropped a shrimp pellet in for them. I had been worried they were all dying, but it appears I worried for nothing. What a great surprise!

Day 20
Feeding Time

Close up of Red Striped Tiger and Black Striped Tiger

mrsashleyodell

I haven't added any pictures recently because I haven't added anything to the tank. Some of the plant leaves fell off and new ones are growing in their place. The shrimp have finally begun to explore the tank rather than just sit in the java moss. No shrimp babies yet though. *fingers crossed*

Day 32

mrsashleyodell

I forgot to add that I found 4 or 5 exoskeletons in my tank over the last 48 hours. From what I've read online, there's a good chance that means they're ready to reproduce. I've been trying to check them for eggs, but they don't cooperate very well.

pbmax

Yup, they molt before laying eggs and attaching them under their tails. Looks good :) I love the green of guppy grass!