Volunteer to help Salmon

Ali

Mods, I put this in Events because it didn't really fit anywhere else, but if I should move it let me know.

I have a dear friend who is the Volunteer Coordinator at F.I.S.H. (Friends of the Issaquah Salmon Hatchery.) They have a program called "Salmon in Schools" which is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. Teachers set up a tank, then get some salmon eggs for the class to care for as they grow into fry, then the class releases them into the wild. It's a great program that teaches kids all sorts of cool stuff about biology and conservation.

The group that used to run the program faced budget cuts and dropped it, but FISH decided to take it on. The problem is, they don't have experience keeping aquariums. So if there's a ammonia spike or a filter breaks down there's nobody on call who knows what to do. They'd LOVE to have someone who is good at troubleshooting that they can direct those calls to. Eventually if it morphed into going out to schools around King County and help set up and cycle the tanks that would be even better.

Anybody interested in being a superhero and answering the big red telephone when it rings?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Dang, I did this in my classroom about 12 years ago. Though we released in minter creek in pierce county. Good luck, this is such an awesome thing for kids!

Ali

You could try, but I don't think they would be good eating. The fry are released once they are about the size of a cardinal tetra. And the adults that come in to spawn and die are nasty zombie fish, hunks of flesh rotting off and such. They get sent off to be fertilizer.

In the off season they do raise rainbow trout though, and those things are delicious!

Bob

Ali said:
In the off season they do raise rainbow trout though, and those things are delicious!

I do love me some rainbow trout. If this was happening in northern snohomish county i would be all over it. :(