Vinyl tubing

Ali

I got 20 feet of vinyl tubing at Home depot to use instead of the 4ft piece of crap that came with my gravel vac. Now I can run it straight into the yard. Label says "LEAD FREE*"

Yeah, free with an asterisk means there is lead, just after some legalese. "The wetted surface of this product contacted by consumable water contains less than 0.25% of lead by weight." Also has the "This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects..." Seriously, wtf?! This was the only brand available, and it wasn't cheap.

I'm not usually paranoid about this kind of thing. But should I use this in the tank? People run drinking water through these. Maybe this is just an inescapable part of

Bob

Ali said:
"This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects..."

If you look on home depots website, just about everything they sell has this warning. But don't worry, since we are not in California it wont give us cancer or birth defects. :shock:

Nick_87

I work in construction and if you haven't already noticed basicly everything in your home is made out of California cancer causing materials lol. I have to laugh at almost 99% of every label I read. I figure we live in Washington so it must be safe. :p

Ali

I remember seeing that label on a steering wheel cover once, also a souvenir shot glass. That was a wacky one.

Suppose if I was preggers I'd be more paranoid, but my pregnant fish are just going to have to deal with the low levels of lead :)

Betty

Staff member
Ali, I've been using my Home Depot tubing and running my water out the window for years now. I never even read the label. :shock:

flamechica

Pretty sure my hubby bought my tubing at home depot. It was there or Ace, but its probably the same stuff regardless. I use mine to not only drain my tanks, but to fill them as well.