Vieja bifasciatum "Rio Chacamax"

Madness

Staff member
Re: Vieja bifasciatum "Rio Chacamax"

The big fat tall ones are ugly as sin. :scratch: your just saying that cause that's the one you have.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

They are soooo cooooool!!!!!! Im glad thats the one I have. :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

I like my fish big and fat like this:

In fact I think I might just have to switch to goldfish. :joker:

Madness

Staff member

That is a cute little guy. :)

It would fit in nicely. :roll:

Madness

Staff member

Sorry, I couldnt look at that thing. :superpuke:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

:lmfao:

I wish the original MFK post I had put up actually was able to follow up with what the bifa from the different regions look like. We might be able to start something here. Could you possibly get info on your male as to location?

Madness

Staff member

Already have word into Gage. As soon as he gets there tomorrow, he will let me know.

Drd62

DMD123 said:
Nice looking fish... but I like the big, fat, tall ones better. :tongue:
I think they're both nice. One is a Riverine BiFa which Madness has hence the more narrower streamlined body. Madness, you wouldn't be a little biased, would you? :lol:
Personally I like both types and their coloration. Great fish to have IMO.

Madness

Staff member

No not really, i have both, just think the streamlined one looks nicer. :)

fishman09

i think a lot of the shape has to do with being wild caught or not and at which size they were removed from the wild. if im not mistaken the streamlined bifa was a larger wc fish and it seems that larger wc fish seem to be a little more streamlined espescially in vieja/paratheraps/paraneetroplus fish lol i do like that wc streamilined look much more

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

A little follow up on the three bifa that I am currently raising.

I tried spinach and was surprised how the little guys tore it up. They were going at it like they were starving. I did not see the large dominant one eat it, I dont really worry about him since he eats and is growing. The other two smaller ones seem more interested in the spinach and ate it with gusto. This makes me happy since they are the ones that always have a thin appearance and really show no interest in the prepared foods I had been offering. Out of the 6-7 different combos of foods they peck at a bit of Omega One Marine Flake w/garlic and love frozen bloodworms. Most of the other fish in the tank eat anything and everything when it comes to prepared foods.

I still see no real aggression from these guys yet. They have a little pecking order but no danger at this point of any one being picked on. It will be hard to decide which I will keep when the time comes because they are all starting to color up and look good.

vancouver_98683

Never seen an elongated bifa before Madness's pics. Pretty cool!

As for the Chacamax. I have one pushing 6" from Wet Spot and a friend with one too. Ours are round shaped and like the ones from the Cavamart pic. Only difference is my bifa is darker tone up on the top half, with the horizontal line always showing.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

So spinach.... really got them munching on the greens, getting them to eat their veggies.

No one warned me of the scary spinach poo! :affraid: The long stringy parts that they could not digest came out and I thought there was something majorly wrong at first. I guess its like when we eat corn.... :joker:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

So not the greatest pic, just a quick, blury snapshot of the bifa I decided to keep.

The next one down in size I thought actually had a better pattern but this one Im sure is male and as time goes on I think the red and yellow should intensify and it should look pretty good. As for personality, it is a very mellow fish and gets along great with everyone. I guess what they say about this variety being the best "community" bifa is true.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks, the picture makes it look bigger than it really is. Its really only about 4 1/2" to 5".

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member

Quick update for DMD, the two smaller bifs i got from you are definitely enjoying being at the top of the pyramid in my tank and their colors are coming out great to prove it.... the larger one (your middle sized one) has actually been displaying two black horizontal lines down it's body, with some really cool carmel colored spots throughout the yellow. The smallest one is really starting to display a redish color from his lips to right past his gills..... I am glad you talked me into them!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

The bifa are stunning fish when older. Would look good with a zo from madness.....

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member

What are the differences between the vieja bifas and the paratheraps bifas. I have heard a number of people discuss bifas with the two different names, and though the paratheraps appear to be a bit redder, I do not see too much difference. Is there any?

Madness

Staff member

Its the same fish. They are just changing the classification. Now it is actually known as the paraneetropolus Bifa. Go figure.