~~~Vacuming~~~

lol , i vacum twice a year and do water changes 1 time a month at 25 % . my fish breed all day and i never have dead fish exept because they have hit sqauds in my tanks that gang bang ..

momsfishn

JUST A THOUGHT:When I vacum the tanks I have sand in (with a python) I place a bucket under the water draining into the sink, catch any sand I siphon and put it back into the tank. BTW I also rinse my filter tubes and parts that I am cleaning in that bucket. If I turn the water off as soon as it begins to siphon, it will keep siphoning at a much slower rate but allows time to do clean up chores. It works for me. Just thought I'd pass that along. I don't vacum and rinse filter parts at the same water change. I change water almost every week in the big tanks and every week in to smaller ones.

larry.beck

In my opinion

- The necessity for vacuuming is almost entirely dictated by the density and type of fish, water movement/flow within the tank, and the aquascaping.

- The frequency and volume of water change required is based on the quality of the water you put, the density and type of fish, and whether or not there are things in the tank to help convert the nitrates, such as live plants.

With my mbuna they need 50% water changes each week; one tank requires much more vacuuming than the other based on the amount of rock. Their fry, in a barebottom tank but one that only has sponge filters, really need it 2-3 times a week.

Jtang

Hmmm I vacuum the gravel bed everytime i do a waterchange (weekly). Just curious because of lot of you seem to have intervals when cleaning the gravel... Does that help a lot in "low tech" planted setups?

Is it normal to find lots of debris in the substrate, and especially near driftwood?