~~~Vacuming~~~

Wolf-Keeper1

I was wondering how often everybody vacums there tanks? I do mine once a week or so when I do water changes I figure I'm already in there so might aswell. Also what substrate have you guys found easiest to vacum? I have pea gravel/river stone. It is soooo loose that I doubt any crude stays underneath it. Any way just a question.

Betty

Staff member
Once a week, along with 50% water changes.

I have sand in every tank -- the bigger the grain size, the easier it is to vacuum without sucking it up.

sidekicking

I do water changes every week...and I brieftly vacum my gravel
but every month I take everything out of my tank and vacum all the gravel

Wolf-Keeper1

When I vacum I do it in each soot still the water getting sucked up looks cleat and free of debri
is that how everyone else does it?

sandnuka

Cant really do it that way with sand... but my gravel tanks I do it that way, unless its planted, then I like some soot in there... So I guess what I am gettin at is I have a different tech. for each tank i keep.....

I do a good vacume twice a month.... Water change twice a week, in all tanks though..... about 3 times a year I re-arrange the tank and do a super good vacume and about 75% WC.

Adonijah

If you vac up your sand can you just scoop it right back up and put it back in or should one clean it first?

sandnuka

sand is actually pretty heavy, and doesnt vacume up to easily.... if I loose some sand while vacuming I just say goodbye to it...

Adonijah

Has anyone been around the local area looking for longer siphon tubes? I've looked at mclendons and they had a super tick piece but they were asking for 30 bucks and they wouldn't sell it to me by the foot :(

Ashley

Adonijah said:
Has anyone been around the local area looking for longer siphon tubes? I've looked at mclendons and they had a super tick piece but they were asking for 30 bucks and they wouldn't sell it to me by the foot :(
I think we got ours from lowes. Or home depot now that I think about it. They sell it by the foot.

We vacuum about once per week and it is a big pain in the ass with sand!

Wolf-Keeper1

It kind of goes with the topic. But was wondering who else was doing the bucket brigade method like me? It sucks 5 trips acroos the house to fill up two 5 gallon buckets. That's for each tank. I hate it lol.

sidekicking

Wolf-Keeper1 said:
It kind of goes with the topic. But was wondering who else was doing the bucket brigade method like me? It sucks 5 trips acroos the house to fill up two 5 gallon buckets. That's for each tank. I hate it lol.

get the python hose or any other type of hose
it will save you so much work

Wolf-Keeper1

sidekicking said:
Wolf-Keeper1 said:

Shua told me the same thing. But I don't know if they make a hose long enough.

icer711

you guys crack me up heres all you need
bad008.jpg
1X<br>
found at petco for sure have seen it there<br>
copper.jpg
1X<br> found at same place <br>
a garden hose (what ever length you need) and the gravel vac part if you don't own one if you do you need this part to hook your current gravel vac to
PY1269_99.jpg

<br>
<br>
<br>
oh and maybe one of these if you feel like be lazy
<br>
13-C_on_off_switch.jpg

you should have most of the parts all ready.. it should run you about 20 buck to get going...
not 50$$ something for 25'

one note the garden hose will screw right on the green thing at the sink :cheers:

Betty

Staff member
Wolf-keeper, my Python hose is 50 feet long and I use every last inch of it! I did replace some of the cheap plastic parts with items from the hardware store.

icer711

you should get a 75' hose ;) or even a 25' it all hooks together i just realized that is all standard hose thread about a year and a half ago lol

icer711

Wolf-Keeper1 said:
Cool deal. I'll look more into them. Cause my method sucks!!
hey if you dont find what your looking for in the next little bit let me know i think i have everything you need but the hose laying around and the hose you can find.... just about everywhere

Jtang

Wolf-Keeper1 said:
sidekicking said:
Wolf-Keeper1 said:

Shua told me the same thing. But I don't know if they make a hose long enough.
Should be long enough