Update: Newly paired angels, Veil Zebra and Ghost Pinoy, laid eggs!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Update: Newly paired angels, Veil Zebra and Ghost Pinoy, laid eggs!

I am so excited! Last night I found they had laid eggs. I figured they would be gone this morning but she was still fanning away. The male is very uninterested in the eggs unlike my other male who basically takes over parenting. But all pairs are different. I'm just hoping they are fertile. So far only a few died as of this morning. Wooo! I've got my Marina exterior breeder box set up already. Excited to see if they grow!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Re: Update: Newly paired angels, Veil Zebra and Ghost Pinoy, laid eggs!

Thanks. If I could I would remove the heater she chose to lay on and raise the eggs myself.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

Congrats!  :cheers: 

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Thanks! I'm hoping they don't eat them before they are free swimming. I really want to see how the fry come out for coloration and finage.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Checked at lunch and all are still there!! Still just the few white ones so I'm guessing he fertilized. Typically if eggs are bad they show quicker when laid on the heater.

LuminousAphid

should you maybe turn that heater off and use a different one to actually heat the tank? the surface of my heaters can get pretty hot, so hopefully the eggs won't cook

Hope you have luck though, looking forward to seeing little baby angels

dwarfpike

I was going to suggest the same thing Lumi ... could very easily have scrambled eggs when the heater clicks on.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

I panicked the first time my other angels laid on the heater. At the time I wasn't majorly concerned about keeping fry so I let it go to see the results. A few eggs die at the base where the most heat is but the majority of the heater seems safe. I have raised a lot of fry from being left on the heater while it is still active if I leave them in with the parents. If I choose or need to raise myself then I use other methods.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Pic I took at lunch a few are gone but majority are still there.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Tails are wiggling eye should start to develop soon about 3-4 days they'll be swimming.

MorganEA

congrats on the parents not eating them! My pair just laid eggs and I'm crossing my fingers that they don't eat them.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

They get a huge big fat red F on parenting skills. Grrrr after work they were there. Came home from town and ALL ARE GONE!! They were only 2 days from leaving the parents. I'm not very happy with them right now...

LuminousAphid

Give them another shot, maybe they decided they were too young to settle down and start a family  :lol

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Oh i'll let them keep going. Too beautiful of a pair not to. I will give them one more shot with raising the babies themselves and then if they eat them again I will separate the eggs from the parents early.

dwarfpike

I usually give my cichlid pairs at least 5 attempts before pulling eggs, more for notoriously bad parents like german blue rams or domestic angels.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

I was wrong! I'm so happy to say I was WRONG!! They moved them, like good parents, to where I couldn't see them. But I found them tonight! Yaaaaay!!