Unique Betta homes?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have been wanting to get a Betta for my upstairs office. I raised them before (many years ago) and know that so many people house them in way too little of tanks. I am looking for some ideas for a unique tank around 2-5g. One idea I had was a large glass cylinder vase that I saw at Ross. Any one else have any suggestions or pics for a unique tank idea?

ledieudufromage

Giant wine glass and red food color in the water...bad joke.

How about a ship in a bottle situation? get a gallon jug, mount it on the side, and slice a bit out of the top?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
ledieudufromage said:
How about a ship in a bottle situation? get a gallon jug, mount it on the side, and slice a bit out of the top?
Interesting idea!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
ledieudufromage said:
Then you can start another hobby as well!
My wife will kill me if I have any more hobbies! I got my betta and have him in a glass vase for now. I really want something unique. I am also considering a small 2.5g glass hex tank or just a 2.5g rectangular glass tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome planted tank! that might also be an option for me.

Islandlife

At a garage sale I found some old old fish tank ornaments. Ceramic. All styled into Asian type houses, bridges. About 10 to 12 pieces in all. Must've been some BIG and very decorated tank. On of the pieces has open 'windows' in it. The betta in the aquarium I have this in just LOVES to hover in there. Quite a neat scene too, very peaceful to look at.

Islandlife

Something else I do which all Bettas have seemd to love is I clip off philodendrons and root them in the water. I usually take several long sections of the vine, break off the lower leaves and put the ends into the water. The leaves still on the vine decorate the top of the aquarium. As the roots start to grow it just gives the Betta more places to explore. Takes a long time to root this way so the Betta can play amongst the roots for long time before you have to start again and the vines actually grow IN the water. Can look really neat on a desk.

Billiethekid

Islandlife said:
Something else I do which all Bettas have seemd to love is I clip off philodendrons and root them in the water. I usually take several long sections of the vine, break off the lower leaves and put the ends into the water. The leaves still on the vine decorate the top of the aquarium. As the roots start to grow it just gives the Betta more places to explore. Takes a long time to root this way so the Betta can play amongst the roots for long time before you have to start again and the vines actually grow IN the water. Can look really neat on a desk.
I did tht except its on my community tank.. the whole back is like 5 6-12" sections of philodendrons with their roots all growing down the back with elodia(sp) growing up from bottom... when i had my bettas in there they loved it.. find em nappin in it at night...

A

Anonymous

Yeah it is super cool to watch the Bettas going in and around the roots. My tank wasn't 'deep' enough to have the roots grow down the back but that would be a really neat thing to do. What is the other plant? Where do you find it? Is it a type of seaweed? And have you ever tried to grow bamboo in a container with Bettas?

I'm usually on the lookout for unique containers that are big enough to house a Betta. Am not a fan at all of the small tiny little homes in fancy glasses etc. but I do like the larger vases where you can put in 'ornaments' as well as the Betta. Today at a garage sale I was looking at some really old ceramic flamingos and thinking - red Betta, pink Flamingos, red stones..........but didn't, in the end, buy 'em.

Ideas are always welcome!

Islandlife

Will look for this. I much prefer natural growing plants to plastic. I tend to shop in Petco cause it is closest and hopefully they'll have some. Thanks for the info!

Ash-Rayne

This may not be quite as large as you're looking for, but I thought it might be funny since it's for an office fish. Why not get a large old coffee pot (might wanna cut the cord off so nobody gets any cute ideas)? You could probably modify it to put a light over the carafe and cut out a larger hole in the lid of the carafe to allow ample light. Then maybe put some dark brown sand on the bottom (coffee ground look-alike). :D

Ashley

Ash-Rayne said:
This may not be quite as large as you're looking for, but I thought it might be funny since it's for an office fish. Why not get a large old coffee pot (might wanna cut the cord off so nobody gets any cute ideas)? You could probably modify it to put a light over the carafe and cut out a larger hole in the lid of the carafe to allow ample light. Then maybe put some dark brown sand on the bottom (coffee ground look-alike). :D
I like that idea a lot! Awesome! I want an office so I can do this lol!

RobertTheFish

Islandlife said:
I'm stealing this idea. Thank you.

Fyurae

I have done the philodendrons too. Works great, and keeps your tank SPARKLY.

I like the ship in a bottle idea. And planted. I think I would do both.

Also, I have been tempted to buy one of the paper shredders with a clear catch tray that I see at Value Village all the time. Would be funny in an office environment.

RobertTheFish

RobertTheFish said:
Islandlife said:
I'm stealing this idea. Thank you.
So, to followup, I did steal this idea and I ran with it. I used pothos since my supervisor has piles of it all over the office and she was happy to have me trim some for her. Yeah, I trimmed her pothos real good.

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/0swRFidTZs8[/flash]

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/BKHko3B1a18" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]