Tukwila area fish stores??

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Does anyone have suggestions on fish stores in Tukwila for me to visit? Other than Oceans by Design?? I will be taking a cab so anything further than outside of Tukwila I'm not really interested in for this time around. :/

Thanks!

Betty

Staff member
A Place for Pets is in Burien, probably 5 miles or so from Tukwila.

It used to be a pretty good shop, but I haven't been there in quite a while and I know that there were changes in ownership a while back.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Why do taxi's have to cost so much?! Looks like round trip from hotel to A Place for Pets would cost me over $30... :( I would have liked to have gone too :(

Betty

Staff member
Sierra Fish and Pets might be a little bit closer. It's not worth an expensive taxi ride though. (In my opinion. I always look at the African cichlids, so I can't really say what the other stock is like.)

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Oh much closer! That's only $14 for round trip! lol I wonder which would be better, Oceans by Design or Sierra fish and pets?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Oh now that I look closer I think I will go to Sierra, It's at a shopping complex that I wanted to go to Uwajimaya while I was up there. What a better way to spend a day :)

Betty

Staff member
I go to that Uwajimaya a lot! It's not as good as the huge Seattle one, but you can still find a lot of things there.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
We were going to go to the one in Seattle when we went to pike's place but I don't think we will have enough time.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
haha that was supposed to be SHOPPING villa lol I've been talking about shipping fish too much apparently. My blackberry does sentence prediction.

Betty

Staff member
Hmm, I don't really know. It's not much of a shopping center. I only go to the Uwajimaya and once in a while I'll stop in at Sierra to see if anything has changed. I think there is a drug store, a Starbuck's, maybe a beauty supply store. It's kind of an old place with nothing that I ever pay attention to.

Yeah, the little mall where Sierra Fish and Pets is located is pretty nondescript, and so is the surrounding shopping. I am always going directly to/from Sierra's, but nothing else has caught my eye. But, if you want to buy a car to save on taxi charges you'll have plenty of dealerships to choose from!

jrygel

I really like Sierra. Good prices on their dry goods- I got my new 48 gallon rimless there. The fish are usually pretty healthy. Definitely a more worthwhile spot to 'browse' than A Place for Pets.

L190

I like sierra for dry goods, they have lots of stuff other places don't have such as CO2 lines. As for fish, they are ok. They don't have that much cichlids in their selection.

jrygel

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Great news, I will have the car! I'm going to Aquarium Zen!!!

If you're going as far as Aquarium Zen, Aquarium Co-op is only another 20 minutes north. The two best shops in the area, hands down.

Yeah, if you want to see healthy animals Co-op and Zen are tops in the area. It is rare that I see even a single "floater" in either store. Could it be that both stores are owned by active hobbiests that haven't yet let the stress of operating a small business burn them out? Both are "must see" if you can manage it.

As far as generally healthy fish, I've also been impressed with B&D Aquarium, The Fish Store, and Conway Tropical Fish (too far north for you). The Fish Store is very close to Zen, so I'd stop in there, especially if you like Discus. They've currently got a decent selection of unique driftwood (but $$$).

For gear selection I think Denny's Pet World and Sierra's are good (ignoring cost), but unfortunately I notice more sick fish at these stores. I *want* to like both stores for livestock, because they both have long histories of local ownership.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I've been to Aquarium Co-Op. Love Cory's store! I was able to make it before Hank passed away. This trip is for looking only and maybe equipment/decor. But no stock. My quarantine tank is currently occupied.