Trying to identify this algae

thecarl

I'm trying to identify this algae that seems to grow faster than anything else in my tanks. I've been removing it mechanically but it grows back within a couple of days. See attached photos, any suggestions for what it is and causes/removing it and keeping it gone are welcome.

Also, it has showed up in all three of my aquariums, generally all at the same time. Amano shrimp don't seem to touch it, neither do the siamese algae eaters. I listed the PAR level at the substrate for each tank below their image. Appreciate any advice, thank you!

IMG_0300-XL.jpg

20 gallon (140 PAR at the substrate)
IMG_0299-XL.jpg

4 gallon (100 PAR)
IMG_0298-XL.jpg

75 gallon (90 PAR)

thecarl

Well the second page doesn't show what I have. First page might but I don't have a microscope to verify what it is of the two it might be. What I can tell you is that it seems to stick to the top half of the tank, mostly in a large clump. Some of it tangles up with the taller plants.

A

Anonymous

It's just a type of thread algae. I've had it more than a few times developed in my tanks but it has always disappeared without much effort.

I do think it's Spirogyra by matching your photos and the photo in the link.

clifford

Probably energy and conditions control. I just recovered a tank like this, and am working on a second (made a little hard to fix because there are fry in the tank)

-decrease light cycle or intensity
-regular relatively large (~30%) water changes per week
-fresh tap water will accelerate fix (chlorine/chloramine but watch out for sensitive inhabitants)
-manual removal twice a week
-increase water flow-- for best results, literally point a pump right where it's growing

When it flourishes like that, making it uncomfortable is the only thing that reigns it in. If you don't mind the look, it's actually a great way to raise fry, as it promotes tank grazing, and gives a ton of places to hide...but don't let it take over. Unless your tank has decent air exchange, when the lights turn off, thick algae can promote a very noticeable pH swing that can kill sensitive inhabitants. (if you're pulling the algae and doing the water changes, you never have to test for this...if you aren't it could eventually cause some trouble).

thecarl

yeah, I already do weekly changes about 30% or so, sometimes more if there is a lot of build up in the sponges and whatnot. I read that it can get bad if there is not enough nutrients for the plants, so I've started dosing the tanks again even though the plants at present still pearl. If that doesn't slow it down or kill it within a couple weeks I might try the excel treatment trick.

Evad

thecarl said:
yeah, I already do weekly changes about 30% or so, sometimes more if there is a lot of build up in the sponges and whatnot. I read that it can get bad if there is not enough nutrients for the plants, so I've started dosing the tanks again even though the plants at present still pearl. If that doesn't slow it down or kill it within a couple weeks I might try the excel treatment trick.

Totally frustrating as I have had the same problem. When you say it showed up in all three tanks at the same time that tells me something in the water changed (unless you introduced something else to all three tanks at the same time). If it is something in the water then water changes don't help. For me it was a nightmare for three weeks and then it just disappeared. No parameters in my water chemistry changed before, during or after the algae outbreak.

Steelpony

I have that algae too, in my platy tank. The fry seem to enjoy hiding in it. Sometimes I'll remove a chunk and hang it in a tank of Honduran Red Point cichlids. They must eat it when I'm not looking, as it is gone the same day!