Tropheus & bloat

regan24

If she is suffering and about to die then I'd probably freeze her, but if she's just swimming around I wouldn't kill her. There's no point in killing her.

icer711

those are always the good ones
icon_geek.png

sandnuka

Lol... I am giving her 2 days from today... added more Metro+, and epsom salt... will continue treatment, then looks like option 2 is whats gonna have to happen... THink its only fair, the other fish are startin to pick on her, the end is near for her.

larry.beck

Hey Sand, let me suggest #3 at this point. If she's being picked on at this point she won't be able to rest and heal if she's in with the others.

Betty

Staff member
Do you have anything like a Rubbermaid tote or a plastic storage bin around the house? You could turn that into a hospital tank pretty easily if you have a spare heater and a sponge filter.

sandnuka

I know your all probably wondering how she is doing, thanks so much for all your concern!

Today I woke to see her still alive, and there is improvement... small improvement but itleast there is some improvement... she is startin to use her fin again... still hovering around the top of the tank, Im assuming thats where everyone leaves her alone. She is not eating, but this has made me change my mind to #3. if there is more improvement tomorrow.

Betty - I dont have any spare heaters and sponge filters are still needed in the tanks there in... I do have a 46gal tank that has had water in it, heater and a canister filter with great water parameters for her... just thought it wouldve been useless because of the state she was in, now I see a light though!

alexmuw

SEE!!!! Give it time and most times it will improve.

Killing her would have been the easy way out! Take pride in saving your fish.

icer711

sand u need to stack your sponges for times like this that way you can remove one of the established sponges in pinch and put it back later when its no longer needed, works great for those unexpected fry ;P or sick fish

Betty

Staff member
Sand, you need to get yourself a small hospital tank! You just never know when you'll need it.

I probably worry too much about it, but I don't like the idea of possibly cross-contaminating a tank with a sick fish that might still be contagious. I use a 10 gallon with a few easy to clean decorations so the fish can hide and feel safe, but no substrate in my quarantine/hospital tank. When I move the fish out, I break it all down, clean it well, and leave it dry until it's needed again.

Luckily, I haven't had any sick fish in a long time, but I do get one beat up once in a while and also use it as a quarantine for any new fish.

I'm glad your female is getting better! :beer:

sandnuka

honestly 10gal tank and extra sponge filters are on there way this week :) ....

betty - I used to have a hospital tank, and the lack of sick fish that needed it, so I wanted to get use out of it so turned it into the german blue ram breeding tank... What do you know, just a month after I do it and I get a bunch of sick fish!

larry.beck

sandnuka said:
I used to have a hospital tank, and the lack of sick fish that needed it, so I wanted to get use out of it so turned it into the german blue ram breeding tank... What do you know, just a month after I do it and I get a bunch of sick fish!
Ain't that always the way? LOL

Great news on her though Sand, happy to hear it. :bounce:

Betty

Staff member
sandnuka said:
betty - I used to have a hospital tank, and the lack of sick fish that needed it, so I wanted to get use out of it so turned it into the german blue ram breeding tank... What do you know, just a month after I do it and I get a bunch of sick fish!
I know what you mean! I have five 10 gallon tanks. :lol: I kept filling them with fry and would have to get another for emergencies.

sandnuka

Update: She is well!!! WOOOOHOOOOO!! today every fish in my tank is 100% healthy, active, and eating!! whats super cool is the sick red rainbow has now started to wear her/his adult colors finally! Gettin a really nice yellow underbelly, just looks awesome with the red upper body.

Thanks everyone for all your help, suggestions, and comments!