Tropheus & bloat

sandnuka

Ok, If I didnt have so much time and money invested in these guys I wouldve thrown in the towel a long time ago..... To be honest, they have proven to be the most difficult fish that I have come accross to keep..... Over the last week I have lost over 10 tropheus to bloat.

I had left town on a vacation and had my sister keep an eye on my fish for me..... I came home to a disaster! All my other tanks, no problem... discus, rams all very happy in there tanks.... but the tropheus over 50% of them had severe bloat.... with the rest having a mild case.

From what I have read, Metro+ (metronidazole) is the only form of treatment for bloat.... keeping some on hand, I quickly began treatment on the whole tank.... It was too late though. Everyday I pull about 2-4 dead tropheus out of the tank :( .... There is some hope though, I have gotten a few guys today to start eatin some metro soaked vege spirulina flakes. And the remaining guys dont look half as bad as the guys that had died.

In conclusion, if you plan on keeping this fish.... Please keep metro on hand... and never let a family member overfeed your tropheus, they will die. :( Anyone have any other bloat experiences, and meds, or treatments that helped? please post!

dead_d10.jpg

larry.beck

Hey Sand... I've heard good things about the soaked food. For those that aren't eating, have you considered clout? It's stronger and riskier, but may be the best route for them.

sandnuka

Larry, not only doing the soaked metro food... but adding about 1 1/2 tsp 2x daily to the entire tank....

I was actually considering clout, funny you suggested it... the only thing that worried me was that tropheus are freakin sensitive, and considering there weakened condition, I figured they couldnt handle it.... but i will give it another 2 days, if there isnt major improvement, i will try it! Thanks for the thought larry. on a side note, I lost the female that was holdin' :(

Addictedtofish

did you ever try epsom salt for bloat in the tank? Epsom salt suppose to be a laxative, which you want to get them to start going to the bathroom so there hungry.

sidekicking

Oh dude that totally blows big time...I would hate to loose that many fish, speacially the trophs
I hope your luck turns around in the next couple of days

sandnuka

WOOOO HOOOOO.... I honestly thought I would loose two more today while lookin at the fish last night.... but to my surprise 0 dead today! and everyone looks allot healthier.... I havent tried to feed yet, Im tryin to make them really hungry to eat there medicine.. lol

Addicted - Yeah, I use epsom salt religiously in my african tanks... with every water change.... I did dump in a bunch extra, but it really didnt help much.... I will keep using it... and the metro+ until everyone left is 100% healthy.

sandnuka

Ok, day 4 treatment.... in the last two days I have only lost 1 fish.... so I think I am over the worst.... actually about 10 of the 15 fish left are eating, and very active... so thats a great sign...

I will do another very large (50%) water change today, that should do the trick, I am hoping... Will keep ya'll updated.

Betty

Staff member
Sorry to hear about the losses, but good that they seem to be getting over it. Your sister must feel pretty bad, trying to help with this being the outcome.

regan24

Aww :( sorry! I've never come across bloat personally, except in one or two bettas, and they were already dead :(

Paintguy

Could be worse... I knew a guy that lost a bunch of his fish at work due to the cleaning lady... she was a foreigner that knew nothing about aquariums and got a little crazy with the windex cleaning the glass.

sandnuka

Ok, the battle with bloat continues! well not so much anymore, but there is 1 fish I am worried about.... has clamped fin, and one side seems to be bloated.... surprisingly she hasnt died... Every morning I get up to see if I am gonna clean her out, but she keeps on keepin on..... If I had a hospital tank set up I wouldve pulled her, but cause I dont I am just gonna continue treatment on the entire tank.... Metro+ says there is not a problem overdoseing, and it come out really easy with carbon, so Im not too worried.

Betty

Staff member
Good news! I also think it's a good idea to treat the entire tank (just my opinion), since it seems to be so contagious. Some might be affected and not showing signs yet.

sandnuka

My directions told her to feed them vegge pellets and vegge flakes, so I am assuming she just overfed, but I do had her feedin blood worms on the other tanks, so she couldve done that? I dont want to ask her, cause I will get pissed if she didnt follow my instructions!

Treatment day 8 - every fish is super active eating well except that one fish has the clamp fin, wont eat, and is hovering around the mid/top back of tank.... So I dont know if its a loss to keep treating the whole tank, or should I just pull her??? I dont have a hospital tank, but have a 46gal with no one in it.... whatcha all think?

1. continue treatment whole tank

2. pull the only sick fish and cull her/him

3. pull the sick fish and put in my 46gal continue treatment there?