Hi,

I have a 180g planted tank which is currently home to 120 cardinal tetras and 15 panda corydoras. The tank looks good, but needs a centre piece fish. I’m thinking Congo tetras but I have a problem. The cardinals aren’t bothered about eating from the surface, which means uneaten food can float around the surface for hours.
My question is, will Congo’s willingly eat from the surface? If not, any suggestions? In another tank I’ve paired rummy nose tetras with pearl gourami’s which works a treat.

The water is fairly hard with a ph around 7. I run auto water change and I test regularly as I’m aware the stocking is in the heavy side

Help and suggestions much appreciated.
Richard, UK

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
@Richard Summerfield, Sorry I dont have an answer for you but was thinking how awesome that swarm of cardinals must look in that tank. Would love to see pics of it.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
That sounds like a truly beautiful tank; how about posting some pics?

As for your surface feeders, how about gourami's? You have Pearls in one of your other tanks, and as you know, they are always near the surface. But there are other gourami species that are small and peaceful, perfect for your 180. I'm thinking in particular about Trichopsis pumila, the 'Sparkling' or 'Pygmy' Gourami, or Parosphromenus deissneri the 'Licorice' Gourami. Good luck!

Trichopsis pumila-

Pygmy-Gourami.jpg

Parosphromenus deissneri-

bdaafc85b09c9205aab9518e3394173e.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Will try and post some pictures.
Sparkling gourami is a new one on me. That blue eye will bang against the cardinals. Love it!

Yes, the Sparkling's are really beautiful, and they stay little.

Where are you in the UK? I have family there, in Bury St. Edmunds, Milton Keynes, and of course, London.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I had 13 Congo tetras as recently as 3 months ago!

they ranged from 3-3.5” and yes they ate small pellets and flakes from the top!

they attacked them like the piranha I had back in college. They are super cool fish especially when the males split tail gets that sweet white colored border to them!

A quick follow up.......

I decided to go with 10 Congo Tetras. After a week in quarantine I added them to the tank with the cardinals. To my delight, when I feed the tank they hit the surface like a steam train.

Thanks for the suggestions

Richard.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Nice choice. There are not many tetras in the hobby from Africa, but everyone loves the Congo's. Good size, beautiful, iridescent scales, and such tails on the males! Have fun! And post some pics!