Tilapia snyderae

Kaosu

Tilapia snyderae

so I came across these little lovely fish for sale recently...and plan on picking up a pare or three.

they say they are rare and no longer imported..on account that they are nearly extinct in the wild

few questions

would any one be interested in helping me breed these and keeping this lovely little fish going?...

does any one keep them or have experience keeping them? im cleaning out a 29 gallon for a pare or two..maybe even putting my 40 tall back up.

some feed back would be nice.

thank you.

tilapiasnyderaeap2.jpg

sandnuka

Re: Tilapia snyderae

Ive kept talapia before, not that variant... but Im sure they are similar... anyway, mine was super hardy, and very aggressive..... I heard they breed well too and are easy to keep.... on that note, I wonder why they are close to extinction? in the wild or in captivity??? cause I know allot of african victorian cichlids are extinct in the wild, but are all over in captivity....

Why do you need someone to help you breed them??? you want someone to hold a stud and you hold the female??? Ive never heard of someone studding out there male fish, hmmm..... sounds like a good idea! lol

Kaosu

sandnuka said:
Ive kept talapia before, not that variant... but Im sure they are similar... anyway, mine was super hardy, and very aggressive..... I heard they breed well too and are easy to keep.... on that note, I wonder why they are close to extinction? in the wild or in captivity??? cause I know allot of african victorian cichlids are extinct in the wild, but are all over in captivity....

Why do you need someone to help you breed them??? you want someone to hold a stud and you hold the female??? Ive never heard of someone studding out there male fish, hmmm..... sounds like a good idea! lol

they are endangered in the wild and rare in captivity, just looking to see if other people would be interested in them if i got them and bred them.

finsandfeathers

Great looking fish, I would be interested in some to work with.

Have 3 Victorian species I'm working with currently, like to help with rare and endangered species if I can.

Fish Addict

If you have less then ten they will probably just kill each other. I have raised a bunch of tilapia in aquaponics bit never seen that strain.

Kaosu

I want some. I may have to get rid of my couch. would you like a couch?
no...i don't want your couch :p make room..im picking up a few pares next month..they stay small 4 inches max from what i have read...how many you going to want?

they are only being sold in pares at 14$ a pare

Have 3 Victorian species I'm working with currently, like to help with rare and endangered species if I can.
awesome!! these are F2s
your down in Origon?....I have been looking for a reason to go down to Portlen some time soon!. maybe we can work something out.

If you have less then ten they will probably just kill each other. I have raised a bunch of tilapia in aquaponics bit never seen that strain.
these are dwarf Tylapia that have little connection to larger types..nothing i have read has stated "less than 10 will kill each other" ..so not sure what your talking about.

AE86-Danny

Kaosu said:
I want some. I may have to get rid of my couch. would you like a couch?
no...i don't want your couch :p make room..im picking up a few pares next month..they stay small 4 inches max from what i have read...how many you going to want?

they are only being sold in pares at 14$ a pare

awesome!! these are F2s
your down in Origon?....I have been looking for a reason to go down to Portlen some time soon!. maybe we can work something out.

these are dwarf Tylapia that have little connection to larger types..nothing i have read has stated "less than 10 will kill each other" ..so not sure what your talking about.

i am more local and have room.
my 125 has room still.
and my 20 has room.
also have room for another 55 gallon

let me know whats going on id love to help breed these.
my tank has alot of breeding going on lol.

finsandfeathers

Well if your coming down to check out the Wet Spot I can drive up to meet you, Saturdays would work the best. 2 pairs is what I'd like to get so just let me know

Betty

Staff member

I wish I had room for some! They are listed as Vulnerable -- facing a high risk of extinction in the wild in the medium term future. I know someone who is involved in the CARES Preservation Progam who has kept them. They are a good looking fish!

Kaosu

awesome!!

so glad we got some people interested in them

I can get ahold of about 6-8 of them early next month around the 10th ill be picking up the entire group and i will sort out pares from there!!

ill be keeping two pares...two for finsandfeatehrs and one pare for Danny we shall see how many pares I can make out of the batch and work with them from there!

Ill keep everyone updated.

Kaosu

Betty said:
I wish I had room for some! They are listed as Vulnerable -- facing a high risk of extinction in the wild in the medium term future. I know someone who is involved in the CARES Preservation Progam who has kept them. They are a good looking fish!
oh that is awesome!! do you still have contact with them? i would love to pick someones brains on breeding them.

sandnuka

AE86-Danny said:
\

my 125 has room still.
and my 20 has room.

From your last few posts danny I think your tanks are setup for african lake cichlids.... These are a different kind of african cichlid... require lower PH... I think 7.0, they also dont work as "pairs" the male will kill the female... from what I read they work out better as a colony fish... small group of 6-8... kinda like tropheus I think.. :)

AE86-Danny

sandnuka said:
AE86-Danny said:
\

my 125 has room still.
and my 20 has room.

From your last few posts danny I think your tanks are setup for african lake cichlids.... These are a different kind of african cichlid... require lower PH... I think 7.0, they also dont work as "pairs" the male will kill the female... from what I read they work out better as a colony fish... small group of 6-8... kinda like tropheus I think.. :)

I don't plan on mixing these with my peacocks or yellows.
im going to setup another tank for sure.

Betty

Staff member

Kaosu said:
oh that is awesome!! do you still have contact with them? i would love to pick someones brains on breeding them.
If I hear from him, I'll let you know and put you in contact. He's not as actively keeping fish now as he used to be, but is still involved with the hobby and CARES.