Tiger Oscar floating sideways.

Kaie

So about a week ago i came down stairs in the morning and noticed my 6-7 year old tiger floating sideways at the top of the tank. I immediately thought he was dead. I went over to the tank and he immediately started swimming around normal acting normal waiting for me to feed him. So i feed him, he ate it all up. Over the next weeks some times he would be sideways sometimes not. I thought maybe he wasn't feeling well so i let him be and rest.

But.. now...... its worse. Hes sluggish. and completely sideways. He ate. But when i go over to him he doesn't really care....

Is he dieing? His water and stuff is normal. Hes in a 55gal Tank with 3x75gal filters that were recently cleaned.

Kaie

yeah hes the only fish. I got him about 2 years ago with a severe case of HITH. I've gotten it down pretty minimal.

Ph = 7.1 It was between 7.0 and 7.2 on the card colors.
Temp = 80
Nitrate = 0ppm
Nitrite = 0ppm
Ammonia = 0ppm

This is literally the best his water has ever tested.. Usually something is above 0ppm at least a little bit.

I forgot to mention i changed his water and mechanical filter media the day i found him floating even though his water tested normal.

Part of me thinks his swim bladder is broke.. He'll start swimming around and straightens out but as soon as he stops his side starts floating up and soon he is on his side.

punch him is a very good idea,i just got done slapping my 2 10 inch albino silly ,

then i would put 6 table spoons of rock salt in his tank.

sometimes just a 1/4 water change and leaving the chlorine in the water helps kill certain bacterias is good ,chlorine will evap in a day any way.

im an Oscar fan too

Kaie

well he is till alive.....

When does one decide to euthanize? Can he live comfortably sideways w/ no energy? I dont want him to suffer

TexAveri

Clove oil is the preferred method as I have read I to be the most humane way. But sounds like maybe swim bladder disease?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Watch for him to go to the bathroom. IF he is constipated,(bloat) then it can shift the muscles and swim bladder. Making the bladder off centered, when he try's to rest it will put him on his side.

What is his normal diet?

Also 0 on all your parameters worries me. I test water all day every day. Having absolutely 0 nitrates is a bad sign. Even on my 300g which has a 2gph drip system. Nitrates will register 3-5ppm.

How old is your test kit? They're only good for 2 years, then they become inaccurate.

you have done well caring for your Oscar 6to 7 years,if its time for him to rest then be proud of yourself ,that's a long stretch ,im still hoping he pulls through

jeff

Kaie

Cory said:
Watch for him to go to the bathroom. IF he is constipated,(bloat) then it can shift the muscles and swim bladder. Making the bladder off centered, when he try's to rest it will put him on his side.

What is his normal diet?

Also 0 on all your parameters worries me. I test water all day every day. Having absolutely 0 nitrates is a bad sign. Even on my 300g which has a 2gph drip system. Nitrates will register 3-5ppm.

How old is your test kit? They're only good for 2 years, then they become inaccurate.
He eats Hikari pellet deals, Its what the previous owner fed him. The other things ive tried giving him he wouldnt take.

Yeah, ive never gotten 0 on Nitrates before. I even did it a second time and its pretty much the same color as 0.

I dont think its that old but i could use a new one.

seattle transhiper said:
you have done well caring for your Oscar 6to 7 years,if its time for him to rest then be proud of yourself ,that's a long stretch ,im still hoping he pulls through

jeff
Hes still here but looks terrible.

Kaie

the freezer sounds like a terrible way to go honestly.

Not only wouldnt he be able to breath hed be cold as shit.

larry.beck

Clove oil is generally considered the most "humane" way of putting them out. They go to sleep. Then you freeze them after they're asleep to actually kill them. Or you can use alcohol as well.