Through the wall / My Fish Room

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I ordered the glass support for the 220g. Quote of 2-3 days has now become 2 weeks now that we are sheltering in place.
Glass is 24x18x1/2” untempered
City Glass $55
Sound Glass $88
S. Tacoma glass quote $115
I also cut the 2x6s for the stand.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
W
I ordered the glass support for the 220g. Quote of 2-3 days has now become 2 weeks now that we are sheltering in place.
Glass is 24x18x1/2” untempered
City Glass $55
Sound Glass $88
S. Tacoma glass quote $115
I also cut the 2x6s for the stand.
When I needed glass for my tanks I went to meridian glass on south hill. They were the cheapest and they had them back to me in 2-3 days ( but of course this wasn’t the shelter in place time either

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The entire back of the tank was scrapped with a razor blade to clean off the black paint and then cleaned with a soap and vinegar cleaning mix. There are several places were there is a line where the paint will not adhere. I will let the paint cure for several days and then razor blade the offending areas and reclean and try again. :roll

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
City Glass had my glass ready and as I had paid for it they set it outside for me to pick up.
Amazon is delivering the silicon tomorrow.
I need to determine if I keep the overflows or not. I will need to remove them to clean the silicone from around the holes for the bulkheads.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
City Glass had my glass ready and as I had paid for it they set it outside for me to pick up.
Amazon is delivering the silicon tomorrow.
I need to determine if I keep the overflows or not. I will need to remove them to clean the silicone from around the holes for the bulkheads.
How did you decide on the measurements for the glass cross brace? If you're mounting it inside then even 1/16" too big on any corner will make it unusable, no?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The 220g rests on the finest cinder block stand the clearance pile could supply. The motorcycle lift is heavy but it did the job.
I broke one overflow in the process of removing it so I will order the new piece Monday. The black stripes will be in the overflows.
1DB381F3-1ECA-409D-AC60-B9D334ADF883.jpeg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
As this is an evolving project. I did the math each overflow consumes 720 cubic inches (6x4x30). I am leaning very heavily towards not putting them back in and just glassing over the holes. I still have the broken center brace glass.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
That's 6.2 gallons in the overflow chambers, or ~3% of the tank volume. Not so much, but the aesthetics are a different matter. I'd glass them over. What are you thinking, filtration-wise?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
That's 6.2 gallons in the overflow chambers, or ~3% of the tank volume. Not so much, but the aesthetics are a different matter. I'd glass them over. What are you thinking, filtration-wise?

I have aquaclear 110s.
Glasses the holes and installed the new center brace. The rear glass seam looks good. No air bubbles. The front glass is not flat and there are several air pockets.
Good seals on the hole covers. I was able to cut some of the old brace into useable pieces.
I needed to remove the black paint I left where the overflows would have been and the blue paint peeled off like a sticker. Just one big sheet almost.
D869794A-3C3C-4D9F-97AF-CBBF15DD40CF.jpeg F517CB33-13A9-43FB-9E93-57AB6EF466CA.jpeg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Yes, you have to be careful with generic 'silicone.' I never use anything that isn't specifically designed for aquaria. At least you found out early on...

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Getting closer. Put a piece of 1/2in closed cell insulation foam under the 220g. I really want to start filling but need to wait until tomorrow to make sure the silicone has cured fully.