Thrashed Spotted rafael

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Well, the spotted got thrashed by the male BNP in the 90g for home invasion. Now the spotted is in hospital. Can I use salt or should I use something else. It's missing skin from the dorsal back to the caudal on both sides. I have polyguard, kanaplex and meth blue.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I would personally avoid salt as everything I’ve learned over the years leads me to believe that salt does increase slime coat, but that is due to it irritating the skin and causing the fish to stress more.

I’d personally make sure water is pristine and treat with a general antibiotic to make sure a secondary infection doesn’t occur.

FishBeast

Well, the spotted got thrashed by the male BNP in the 90g for home invasion. Now the spotted is in hospital. Can I use salt or should I use something else. It's missing skin from the dorsal back to the caudal on both sides. I have polyguard, kanaplex and meth blue.
Daily aggressive water changes. Kanaplex plus anything like API general cure or seachem metroplex that has metronidazole - dosed once each for prophylaxis.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Clean water and it should heal up quickly. If you are seeing anything that looks like dead tissue then meth blue bath/dip, not in tank. Then treat with the Kanaplex. If its just torn fins and abrasion, just stick with clean water.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Clean water and it should heal up quickly. If you are seeing anything that looks like dead tissue then meth blue bath/dip, not in tank. Then treat with the Kanaplex. If its just torn fins and abrasion, just stick with clean water.

There is white flesh at the injury sites. I had already added 9teaspoons salt to the tank. Should I do the dip too?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Daily aggressive water changes. Kanaplex plus anything like API general cure or seachem metroplex that has metronidazole - dosed once each for prophylaxis.

Totally agree. You need to be more aggressive (and high-tech) here than just salt.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
He is still hiding, :rofl. Gave him a meth blue bath at normal treatment dose as I don't have enough to make the normal 10second dip mix. Treated the tank with kanaplex after a 99% water change. Ribs and thorns exposed on one side not so bad on the other. Still appears to be bleeding some. I think it ate some garlic infused marine pellets.
PXL_20201216_041512784.jpg PXL_20201216_041345236.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I don't know how other people feel about this, but I feel terrible when fishes suffer under my care. Whether it's aggression or disease or stress or anything else, I feel responsible for them, just as I do for my other pets.

'It's just a fish!'

I hear that sometimes. But I'll bet that just about everyone on this board has been sad at one time or another, because of 'just a fish.'

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know how other people feel about this, but I feel terrible when fishes suffer under my care. Whether it's aggression or disease or stress or anything else, I feel responsible for them, just as I do for my other pets.

'It's just a fish!'

I hear that sometimes. But I'll bet that just about everyone on this board has been sad at one time or another, because of 'just a fish.'

Couldn’t agree with you more....definitely been sad when a fish dies or gets thrashed by it’s mate

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Spotted Raphael have a ‘cuteness’ because of their stubby little build. Hope it gets better soon. It got good thrashing from the pleco.