This is what has kept me going!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
With all the loss of fish in my 210g with the outbreak of 2010 I was very discouraged and thought that it would be an end to my fish keeping. What kept me going? Of course all the support of members here! :D But the other thing has been my simple little 29g tank with its occupant "Spaz". Yes I name my fish and he is named "Spaz" for a reason, he is very active, almost hyper. Even my wife comments on him and his personality. He is very interactive and growing like a weed. This little $2.99 fish is what has kept me going. He is nothing special just a male convict, but he means a lot to me.

Like I said very hyper, so hard to get a good photo. Love the trailers on his fins!

I think he will eventually be in the 210g but for now he seems content in the 29g. Raising him has been fun and reminded me why I got into fish keeping. I have raised all kinds of fish and even had expensive wild caughts but it wasnt really fun anymore. I had more enjoyment with my simple, common midas than any of the others. So as I look to restock my 210g I am looking at common fish, an Oscar or two. I want the hobby to be fun again and thanks to "Spaz" it has been.

Adonijah

Parachomis are keeping it awesome for me. I'm finding I like the attackers and not so much the grazers. You gotta do what you gotta do to keep it fun!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, when it stops being fun is when you want to quit!

I have also considered a Jag, they are as common as Oscars now!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
In my experiments with keeping different fish I have found some to be the front and center fish and others are the background fish. Thats what I miss about my Midas, he was a front and center fish. That is what I am on the search for now. I have enough background fish to add back in the 210.

hbluehunter

I hear ya.. Cheap fish are the best.. I remember when i had my tank full of pbass, and 5 different arowana's.. I had a bunch of convicts i used as feeders. Well one made it through all the fish and became the most aggressive fish i owned. He would punk fish 3 times his size. It was funny watching him take on my 12"+ pbass..lol

Zerc

I have a jag you might be able to have... hes only killed one fish that i know of!

My RTM graduated to the big boy tank today. The wife called and said he had half of a neon in his mouth...

fishman09

the jags i got from madness have turned into my favorites in the fishroom. i awas never really a jag fan till i got them cause theyre way common but they really are awesome fish

Jantilla

I tell all the girls I have a large fish tank and it makes them go wild. This is what keeps me going. :cheers:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have watched big jags at some of the stores and found them to just stare you down. Its like they have no fear... I remember reading a story of AquaMojo saying the most aggressive he ever owned was his jag.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Jantilla said:
I tell all the girls I have a large fish tank and it makes them go wild. This is what keeps me going. :cheers:
:cheers: Yep size matters!

fishman09

My male jag is fearless from me. Has bit me multiple times and made me bleed. Trys to jump out of the tank to bite me over the tank

Madness

Staff member
Zerc said:
I have a jag you might be able to have... hes only killed one fish that i know of!

My RTM graduated to the big boy tank today. The wife called and said he had half of a neon in his mouth...
The little one you got from me? Nice. Have they grown much?

fishman09 said:
My male jag is fearless from me. Has bit me multiple times and made me bleed. Trys to jump out of the tank to bite me over the tank
I dont understand what you all do to my fish to make them sooooooooooooooooo angry. :) They are so peaceful until I let them go. I mean Zerc's RTM is eating neons for heaven sake. :suspect: :)

Zerc

Yup! one of them died, I am not sure why. He did not have any damage that i could see, but just stopped swimming 3-4 days ago. The other one comes to the top to eat pellets now, his fins are iridescent blue! It is nearly 2" long now.

Anthraxx

DMD that convict has some really nice coloration to his tail. very nice :) get him a girl and get urself some free fish food.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I would consider breeding him. Ive seen some really bad, deformed, cons out there and he seems to have a pretty good look about him. Just need to find a good looking female for him!

JK47

I like him a lot. I have never kept a convict but am in a phase in my life of keeping common fish to find out what all the fuss is about and makes them popular. I am enjoying it too.

The rare stuff can get stressful and take away rom the hobby for me, it hasn't always been that way but as stressfull as my job is, I don't need any extra. This hobby is supposed to help with the stress :)