thinking about discus

GoodnNuff

Aaron (OP)
I'm pretty new myself to Discus but what I've read or heard most often for a hobby tank (not a breeder or grow out set up) is that adult Discus will require 10 gals per fish. I do a 25% water change every 4-5 days, so that bio load would make sense to me. That's for the Discus tank, which is heavily planted with pressurized CO2 and dosed with fertz, and my water parameters stay stable between changes.
If I was doing daily water changes I'd keep more Discus/fish per gallon. The higher the volume of water, and the greater the frequency of water changes, the more you can add to the bio-load (within reason). So everyone here is who keeps Discus have found methods that work with their bio-load and results in healthy fish.

I picked up three new Discus from Bobby this afternoon, and I tell you, he's got some beautiful and healthy fish, and a great set up that allows him to do 90% water changes daily.
I'm impressed.

aaronfeeney

ya maybe 2 or 3 at most, but will they eat my CPD or neons, I am a cheap SOB and would probably start with younguns and not worry about growing fast, just staying healthy,,, no hurry to get huge fish,,,,, I really didn't think a simpole question would blow up so much contraversy

sandnuka

lol... many different opinions in here.... and people throw passion behind what they believe... anyway, they wont eat the neons... itleast mine dont... and bobby actually had some housed with his.

Salzabar

It shows how passionate we are about our hobby Aaron. You should only think about how you would feel in a 37 gallon tank with 3 or 4 buddies. would you like clean water and freash food? would you like more room to thrive and maybe have some space to yourself when you just want to be alone. I had 6 discus (Pigeon Blood circa 92') in 55 gallons with just a sailfin pleco( 3") and some clown loaches. All was well for about 2 years but then 2 decided to lay eggs and the other 4 ate them and fights broke out all the time. No one paired up to my surprise. So I took out the loaches and pleco. Same thing over and over so I gave them to a friend who had a bigger tank (400 gallons) . The next week all 6 of my discus began pairing off with his discus (he had 12 before mine came along). Soon he had babies and he would leave them in there to grow. I thought he was crazy but they thrived and about half made it to 4 inches and thats when he decided to pull them out and sell them to several stores for a nice chunk of change (well, it was back then). His water changes was twice a week at about 25 to 30% each time. Well fed with shrimp and krill and some sinking wafers but nothing else. What my discus taught me was even though everything looks fine and dandy discus need their space to thrive and not just survive. My 55 gallon was not big enough for 6 full grown discus to develope healthy discus behavior and they suffered because of it. Just some food for thought

shua

go with rams in your size tank, o two discus that you cant live with out. even that imo is pushing it due to the fact that i love my fish. hince they are all spoiled and would never cramp them together. keep us posted on what you do.

sandnuka

You already tried to breed rams right? I got my apistos in a 10gal, the rams in a 10gal, my discus pair in a 29gal, and my discus community of 8 fish in a 55gal... everything is happy scrappy over here! Breeding like crazy, keeping me busy. :) there all fun fish, especially cause they dont disturb plants so you cant make a awesome planted setup.

Definetly keep us posted.

Jacko

I don't see why you don't get both... a few discus and a pair or trio of apistos, apistos are alot easier to breed than rams IME and usually have cooler breeding behavior, or just get a single discus... I've seen several people do that with success, you've just got to pick out a discus that seems like a loner in the tank, the one that doesn't associate well with the others. :)

Though IMO aaron... you should work on your PDF viv before you get more fishes :p or you're gonna miss your chance to pick up some frogs at microcosm :lol: