The mighty Nerite

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Found this guy in one of the containers I use for water changes. It was out of the aquarium for a week with its trap door shut. Put it in an aquarium and within seconds it was happily crawling around.

1220A320-BB35-4553-9B00-3881E5538387.jpeg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
That's a tough snail!

They're intertidal, and have adapted to be out of water for a considerable period of time. I have quite a few of these in my Tanganyika tanks- they like the hard water (good for growing shells) and high pH. They do an awesome job of keeping algae off my Anubias. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Are these the type that dont breed in freshwater? I mean they will lay eggs but they dont hatch or propagate young in freshwater.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Are these the type that dont breed in freshwater? I mean they will lay eggs but they dont hatch or propagate young in freshwater.

Guilty as charged. Yes, they are amazing algae from getting out of hand. The downside is that unlike freshwater snails nerites are unable to right themselves if they are on their backs.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="The downside is that unlike freshwater snails nerites are unable to right themselves if they are on their backs.[/QUOTE]

That's the urban legend, but I'm not sure it's true for all nerites. In particular, I think the 'Black Racer' nerites can right themselves, because I've never lost one in this way (but I do have sand substrates, which may help). The 'Black Racers' aren't as pretty as some of the others, but they are hardy, grow fast, and are awesome for algae control; they're the only ones I buy at present.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Woo hoo grab the popcorn kids looks like we could get a good show going:D Saltwater snails lack the ability to vary their buoyancy. If you lay a nerite or other saltwater species of snail on their back the snail will fully extend their foot swinging it back and forth to right themselves. Hermit crabs watch for this incapacitated state and will move in for the kill so that they can move into a new shell. Snail eating fish in the freshwater aquarium will also take advantage of snails in this predicament.

Betty

Staff member
The ones I used to have would deposit eggs all over the glass and rocks and were nearly impossible to completely remove. They were great on the algae though.

FishBeast

Woo hoo grab the popcorn kids looks like we could get a good show going:D Saltwater snails lack the ability to vary their buoyancy. If you lay a nerite or other saltwater species of snail on their back the snail will fully extend their foot swinging it back and forth to right themselves. Hermit crabs watch for this incapacitated state and will move in for the kill so that they can move into a new shell. Snail eating fish in the freshwater aquarium will also take advantage of snails in this predicament.
Super interesting!!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The ones I used to have would deposit eggs all over the glass and rocks and were nearly impossible to completely remove. They were great on the algae though.

Yes, they are prolific egg layers even more in high ph alkaline water. Unfortunately, it is an ancient Chinese secret to get the eggs to hatch.