The Mega Debate! Neon Tetras vs Cardinal Tetras!

So, I've recently found this out from random researching, while killing some time and found out this little tidbit, and got me thinking...

Apparently Cardinal Tetras have a shorter life span than Neon Tetras... Some sources state that Neon Tetras can live up to 10 years, usually averaging around 5 years in an aquarium (assuming they're living in the best of best conditions in a tank, of course.)

While Cardinal Tetras only live about 2-3 years. . . shocking, I know.

I had always thought that Cardinal Tetras, being the bigger of the two, would have longer life spans. Heh. . . I guess I was wrong! Kinda makes me wonder which I like more... I probably still like Cardinal Tetras over Neon Tetras, simply because they grow bigger than Neons, and I like that their red coloration is more prominent, than their Neon Tetra cousins.

That being said, which do you folks prefer more? While each fish does have its pros and cons, I feel like these two make a great addition to any established community tank!

KaraWolf

Between neon tetra disease, hearing they are the more spastic (neons) but mostly coloration I went with cardinals. Really glad I did :D half the time they look purple in my tank due to my lights. So pretty.

dwarfpike

I wonder if the much higher natural temps Cardinals are found in play into the different lifespans.

That actually does make a lot of sense, dwarfpike! At least when you use a goldfish as an example, since their metabolism gets faster as the water gets warmer, which supposedly shortens their lifespan. So maybe you're onto something here! :)

I personally have never kept cardinals. None of the shops around me seem toncarry them. But I think neons are probably my very favorite aquarium fish. I like that they are a little smaller and I also prefer the less obnoxious amount of red. But having never kept cardinals who knows my whole perspective may change if I can get some one to order a few dozen in. Lol.