The elusive male peacock gudgeon!!

Kaosu

ok..been looking for about 2 years to find a male Peacock Gudgeon ( ok i was more browsing for one but never really hunting) ..walked in to my favorite LFS and glanced threw the tanks..they got a new shipment of Gudgeons in and guess what was sitting up front glaring at me threw the tank!!! a monster side angry boy!!!!!!

got him and a lovely girl with him soooo excited!!!

more pics to come when they settle in to the QT tank.

him
DSC08797.jpg

DSC08799.jpg

DSC08804.jpg

her
DSC08803.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Very nice to find your elusive fish. :cheers:

Colorful little guys.

Kaosu

and we have eggs!!!!

spotted the male going in and out of a black pvc pipe i put in the tank about a week ago..shone a light in and EGGS lots of them!!

soo excited!!

pics to come.

Kaosu

oh forgot i had lots more pics ^_^

tank ( eggs are in black pvc)
DSC09109.jpg

DSC09110.jpg

fish ( boy had big head..girl has pointy head and black outlining fins)
DSC08841.jpg

DSC08840.jpg

DSC08831.jpg

DSC08836.jpg

DSC08829.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Awesome! :cheers:

You got your elusive fish and now might have babies. That worked out good.

Kaosu

they are hatching ^_^

top middle of the leaf you can see an eye and a tiny body..super tiny little guys.

DSC09249.jpg

Kaosu

not sure if any one on this forum are following this or what ever but

i have a few dozen fry scooting around the tank...few dozen more in the tube still!

DSC09271.jpg

DSC09272.jpg

..not in focus but you can see a bunch in the background.
DSC09274.jpg

haika

YAY! I feel the same way about female Dario dario (and I know I'm not alone)!

I kept these gudgeons for about 3 years and the male RARELY came out of the cave. The female was out and about all the time. I never got any surviving fry. Oh well. Hope you have much better luck....looks like you are at least seeing fry!

Betty G.

Kaosu

haika said:
YAY! I feel the same way about female Dario dario (and I know I'm not alone)!

I kept these gudgeons for about 3 years and the male RARELY came out of the cave. The female was out and about all the time. I never got any surviving fry. Oh well. Hope you have much better luck....looks like you are at least seeing fry!

Betty G.
I have been looking for female dario dario for so long :( ...you wouldn't have any to spare would you ?^_^

and I have had great success with the fry ..I currently have about 2-3 dozen fry and they grow so slow!!!

they are just now showing color and they hatched around Christmas the largest is just shy if 1/4 of an inch

haika

I WISH I had some female Dario dario. That is my nemesis fish! Right now I have just 1 male left from a group buy November 2011 (I think). I've had GSAS member search out females for me before, but it was a difficult time of year and I never got fry when I tried to pair them. It's easier for me during the spring/summer as I tend to have more daphnia/ceriodaphnia/copepods then. I'm not a baby brine shrimp fan (laziness) but I WILL do microworms.

Back to peacock gudgeons....lovely, interesting fish.

Betty G.

Kaosu

Lamental Jester said:
Pretty!!! I want one! I'm gonna do a 20g long soon, they would be perfect! Which LFS did you get them at? Clarks Feed and Seed?
yes I got them from Clark's but they very rarely have males in fact this was the first one I have found in a few years...give me another month and i should be able to start sexing these guys..the largest it nearly half an inch. ^_^

MikeB

Kaosu, if anything ever happens to yours let me know i have several breeding pair but often not fry as im done breeding them and keep them in a show tank.. im sure i got between 5-10 of both sexs and 3 that spawn regularly if i give them wood pvc etc..
main reason i stoped breeding and wanted to see them in the show tank was all my local stores didnt want to offer anything for them and yet they wanted my guppies.. who would have figured.....

If anyone is still looking for peacock gudgeons, I saw them last week at B&I Pets in Lakewood. They are a sponsor store of GSAS and give 10% discounts to GSAS members.