the downside to having a large pleco...

nick_76

in a tank that previously had pristine white sand, there is now spaghetti sh*t all over the place :evil: :vomit: 

A

Anonymous

Typical...

Pure black substrate has the same issue with large fish as well...

Madness

Staff member
I have a 13 inch all black common pleco in my 300 and there is never any stringy poo on the substrate. Simple cure to the poo is bottom feeders. I have 1 Raphael cat and 1 Blythe loach, they keep all the poo clear. I know its gross, but it works. I have bottom feeders in every tank that has a large common in it, and no visible poo in any of those tanks.

A

Anonymous

madness said:
I have a 13 inch all black common pleco in my 300 and there is never any stringy poo on the substrate.  Simple cure to the poo is bottom feeders.  I have 1 Raphael cat and 1 Blythe loach, they keep all the poo clear.  I know its gross, but it works.  I have bottom feeders in every tank that has a large common in it, and no visible poo in any of those tanks.

Hold on,
Are you saying these 2 critters are actually "eating" the excrement?

Madness

Staff member
they must be because I have absolutely no poo anywhere in my tank other than some stuff here and there but no stringie stuff. I mean anybody that's been to my house have you seen any long stringy pleco poo in my tanks.?

A

Anonymous

Lamental Jester said:
On a completely different note, Madness is inviting everyone to his house for dinner... I hear he's cooking noodles
WOW, BAHAHAHAHAHA...

@Madness, Very well could be! Either that your loaches are batting, and moving it around until its all broken up. I have heard of a fish that eats poop but it was something like an Giraffe Catfish or something.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
madness said:
they must be because I have absolutely no poo anywhere in my tank other than some stuff here and there but no stringie stuff. I mean anybody that's been to my house have you seen any long stringy pleco poo in my tanks.?
Yes, I have.

No wait, those were bichirs. :joker: 

nick_76

my 90 has plenty of bottom feeders, yet no excrement feeders....at this rate im gonna gravel vac my sand daily, or have an extensive collection of 6-8 inch long spaghetti noodles in the bottom of the tank

every so often I see striped raphaels for sale...I have yet to see a spotted one, which I really want

nick_76

I had no idea, I had one many years ago...really loved that fish but it seemed as ordinary as a pictus cat. was a part of a tank that included a pair of uarus, a black ghost knife, an elephant nose, silver dollar, juripari, and a pair of butterflies. that was in a 30 gal. now when I see a 30, I wonder how I even kept anything at all in something so small....but I digress, id really like another spotted. I keep an eye out for them but never thought they could be so hard to find

I think I got mine at either a.)fairwood pets b.) fish gallery or c.)Puyallup petco when it was at the old location. yea, its been a few years

Salzabar

My spotted cat never eats the fish poo but my stripe keeps the tank spotless but only when the lights are out. I only wish there was something really small that would clean up after my shrimps. Whenever I feed them Gigi's wonder food they make a huge mess with the food and the poo.

Lamental Jester

nick_76 said:
every so often I see striped raphaels for sale...I have yet to see a spotted one, which I really want
I've got a spotted one in my 75 gallon, but I almost never see him, like maybe once every 6 months