The big move Part 1

xicaque

How big is that male Hartwegi? It is more than beautiful.

Here are some close ups per your request. Thanks for the help!
IMG_2196_zps9af6b51f.jpg
[/url][/img]
IMG_2206_zpsb2d39110.jpg
[/url][/img]
IMG_2210_zps4776aa55.jpg
[/url][/img]
IMG_2216_zps56d04b9d.jpg
[/url][/img]
IMG_2199_zps332c21d8.jpg
[/url][/img]

Madness

Staff member
Where did you get it again? How big is it? It looks a lot like :
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Here is my male at 7"
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
Now he 13-14"

I am thinking that you have a Hartwegi there.

xicaque

I got him at the the Tacoma PetCo store by the mall...

It is about 5-6 inches? So is it a boy or a girl?

Your male at 7 inches looks close to mine...How long did it take for it to get to 13-14?

It is a finicky eater! Likes mostly worms but if I do not feed him/her for about a day, it will take the pellets just fine. I think it prefers worms mostly.

So do you have any of the opposite sex for mine? I need to find him/her a companion.

Thanks for your help brother!

Madness

Staff member
If I had to guess I would say male, but like with most Vieja and Paratheraps, if you want to be sure, you need to vent it.  

That picture of my male was 17 months ago.  I have what I think is a Hartwegi from my pair in my 400.  It is about 6-7".  I dont know the sex.  

Here is the reason it is so hard, this is my female
p1110710.jpg
" />
img_2010.jpg
" />

Looks like my male did. So you need to vent it to be sure.

Madness

Staff member
I would also lay off on the worms, there is not much in the way of nutritional value. You really need to get it on a good staple pellet, and feed worms once in a while. I havent fed mine worms in like 4 months.

xicaque

Thanks for the help Madness. If two males where put in the same tank, would they fight? What do you suggest for a good staple pellet?

I guess I will have to google how to vent it...

One thing that I did notice when I placed it in my 110, I have a green severum in it, this specimen had its opening area to what appeared to me like "pronounced." I am trying to stay PG in this forum so I hope you know what I am trying to say here....:oops: 

I know nothing about sexing fish. So when I noticed that for about a week long, I was thinking that it may be a female. Your pics of your female make it really difficult to tell. This little fish sure is hard to tell the difference...

Do you have any for sale? If two males do not fight or show aggression, I would think this could be a hard way to tell if they are opposite sexes?

Thanks for taking time to help.

Madness

Staff member
If the tube was huge, it may be a female. LOL I do have one avalable, not sure of sex. A good food is either NLS, Xtream, Omega1, I am using Souithern Delight right now and really like it.

Eventually 2 males will show aggression...

xicaque

So this morning I went to check on my tanks and I found someone very busy cleaning the rocks around the slate... The "tube" is well pronounced this time..

What do you think? Female? It swam back and forth doing some shimmy effect in order to move rocks. The rocks that did not move by this, it grabbed and spat them away.

I will pm you my number and we can possibly meet today if you can... Thanks for the help.

_DSC7516_zpsd9fb7b8e.jpg
" />
_DSC7508_zpscc59067d.jpg
" />
_DSC7484_zps15911806.jpg
" />
_DSC7498_zpsc798febf.jpg
" />
_DSC7514_zpsf7173e26.jpg
" />
_DSC7513-Version2_zps37f51c04.jpg
" />