Testing Kits

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
This thread made me think I need to check the date on my test kit.

My fish have been doing very well in general and I do multiple regular changes that I dont check as often as I should.
Its probably time to replace my kit, an API kit

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I have an api, but rarely use it( I have to admit )..... I test only when I notice a problem ( which is rarely). My fish get regular water changes and gravel vacs and I don’t overfeed.....

Stingro

I test every week when I do my water change. Just because its a habit at this point for me. I'm some what paranoid about my biohome too, I'm worried it will collapse and get an ammonia spike. I like the reassurance that my water parameters are consistent.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I test every week when I do my water change. Just because its a habit at this point for me. I'm some what paranoid about my biohome too, I'm worried it will collapse and get an ammonia spike. I like the reassurance that my water parameters are consistent.
I absolutely agree with this! I just unfortunately do not practice it. And for no real reason either.....

Ruturaj Hagavane

Add ammonia alert from seachem, I mostly do weekly water test but this is a extra caution.

sir_keith

Legendary Member

Same here. The main things I need to monitor are nitrates and pH. Nitrates are not such a big deal in my Featherfin tanks, which are lightly stocked and have ~10x filtration, but Tropheus impose a much bigger bioload. And you'd think that pH would be a non-issue with 100+ pounds of Aragonite substrate and SeaChem Tanganyika buffer, but keeping the pH up around 9 is no mean feat. I've noticed in particular that the sand-dwelling Tanganyikans get mopey when the pH gets below 8.

Ruturaj Hagavane

The API Freshwater Master Test Kit includes an NH3/NH4 assay.

Yes, I know that, I have both. Seachem ammonia alert hangs in the tank and you get current levels 24x7 for a year I assume. Since Stingro was worried about ammonia spike, I thought it would be a good addition for him.