Tankmates for calvus in 30 gallon

Betty

Staff member
I have three calvus that have been living in a standard 30 gallon tank (approx 36 x 12 x 16), established and spawning occasionally. But the tank looks so empty and I've been thinking about adding another species that would occupy the top to middle portion of the tank. I'd like to have a Lake Tang species, but not sure if there are any that would be happy in this size tank.

Any suggestions?

Betty

Staff member
Yes, I think they would need more swimming space. Nice looking fish though. Thanks for the reply.

hose91

Not Tangs, but in that same role of upper to middle tank dwellers in a medium size tank, I've had success with both Dwarf Neon rainbows and a group of Platys (in separate tanks). Both are pretty easy to sex, are active swimmers, and have some good color potential. My 8 platys in a 29G have a ton of personality and roam the whole tank, though they like the top best, I think.

Either one might be a good choice to add some color and action to the top of your tank. Good luck!!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Or you could give them to me to live with my three gold head comps and you could free up some space in your tank.... Haha, just kidding.

If I were going to add to my calvus tank I'd get something with some collet that stays small

Betty

Staff member
I used to keep platies way back years ago. Definitely active and colorful. I might have to consider non-Tanganyikan species if I want to add more fish. Might do a little research on the dwarf rainbows -- water conditions, etc. Thanks for the ideas.

@lloyd378 What size tank do you keep yours in?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I used to keep platies way back years ago. Definitely active and colorful. I might have to consider non-Tanganyikan species if I want to add more fish. Might do a little research on the dwarf rainbows -- water conditions, etc. Thanks for the ideas.

@lloyd378 What size tank do you keep yours in?

36x15x18..... Think it's a 35 gallon. My gold heads are still tiny. Like an inch maybe a little more!