"Tanked" on Animal Planet (Custom tanks for amazing situations)

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
"Tanked" on Animal Planet (Custom tanks for amazing situations)

I have gotten hooked on a new(ish), atleast to me, show on Animal Planet called "Tanked". They build acrylic aquariums for unusual circumstances and situations. Keg aquariums, bed beneath and all kinds! It's an amazing show and worth the watch. So far the best episode is a tank they build under a bed for a young (5ish age) for him to recover from heart surgery under. Talk about a relaxing way to recover! Here is a link to their main site and the animal planet link to their show. Hope you all enjoy!

Main site: http://www.acrylicaquariums.com/

Animal Planet show website: http://animal.discovery.com/tv/tanked/

Guys they make some amazing tanks that you'd drool over (especially the keg tank for those miller fans.) And girls, GORGEOUS tanks as well!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Re: "Tanked" on Animal Planet (Custom tanks for amazing situations)

I have enjoyed the show also.

Did you see in recent on-line chatter that the phone booth NY themed tank showed up on Las Vegas craigslist?

Not sure how true this is because I have not found a working link since the ones who posted it deleted it (possibly sold it).

I would like to see them do a freshwater Amazon tank one of these days.

I've been recording and watching it too. a Malawi Mbuna tank would be a fantastic project as well!!

I have noticed they are doing salt species from different parts ot the world in the same tanks.

JimA

The show is ok, I find the two guys kind of annoying but then I hate NY accents more than anything. And I hate the yankee's.

I wish they would focus on the fish a bit more and the building end of it and lose the drama. Funny thing with these shows is there is never enough time yet it always comes together in the end.

The tank for the boy was hella cool! The thing they never show is who's gonna take care of the tanks after they have been installed. My guess is if you can afford them to put the tank in you will pay them to take care of it?

JimA

fishloverRon said:
I've been recording and watching it too. a Malawi Mbuna tank would be a fantastic project as well!!

I have noticed they are doing salt species from different parts ot the world in the same tanks.

Wasn't the keg cichlids?

Missed the Keg episode (started recording after) or I haven't gotten to it yet on the recordings.

Betty

Staff member

I agree with Jim on the annoying part. Too much drama over nothing in the one episode I watched. I understand that they have to do it this way to make a program out of it, but I found it very annoying and haven't watched it again.

dawgwe1

I have watched a few of them - shows not too bad.... Can't imagine the costs of the tanks considering flying guys from vegas to the east coast to install a tank.......

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

fishloverRon said:
Missed the Keg episode (started recording after) or I haven't gotten to it yet on the recordings.
The keg episode was African. The thing that I did not like about it was that the keg tank was only like 85g and it had all the plumbing in the center done up like a saltwater environment with bright corals and what not. Im one of those people who like to try and mimic the natural surroundings to where the fish is from. So this bothered me a bit. Plus I felt that the tank was too small for some of the fish introduced, but I am not familiar with Africans as to tank size requirements.

Spyral

I hate this show.

The keg tank? like 85 gallons, totally filled with horrible plastic coral decorations and waaaaayyyyy overstocked with Africans from every lake..lol.

They seem to know their stuff with salt water fish and corals, though.

They are annoying as hell, way overdoing the NY accent (being a born and raised New Yorker, I can assure you , it is way overdone).

The tanks they make, for the most part, are absolutely beautiful.

As for mintenance, the people they sell to do not take care of their tanks, they hire a service to do it for them.

Spyral

JimA said:
I hate NY accents more than anything. And I hate the yankee's.
I always knew there was a reason I didn't like you..lol.

Rick

I think the shows OK, they could cut down on the drama and I would like to see some fresh water setup. I often scratch my head thinking they put to many fish in the tanks. There isn't alot of good TV any more, I would rather watch some of the old shows like MASH, and Gunsmoke.

Hear! Hear! For Mash for me and Gunsmoke for my dear departed Dad!

I'm watching the Keg show right now. 89 gal tank. And yes, they did put the African's in it. But like you Spyral, I hate the corals in with fresh water fish. I'm too much of a naturalist for that.

Actually I really like the banter and the pranks they're playing on each other.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

I agree with the coral in an african tank. Sand and rocks are the best way to go. Plus easy to rearrange. It's the idea of the shapes of the tanks that I like. Everyone has their own taste in fish and design and decor so we could all argue about what's right and wrong. Whatever happened to the old saying "if you don't have anything nice, don't say anything at all." This site is getting bad for bickering... Thought this would be a nice common thread people could comment on what they liked on the show. Not a bashing thread. More negative has come than positive from this post. I'm beginning to regret it.

Spyral

What negativity are you talking about?

Yes, what negativity! When I first started here ai thought there were some things that I really didn't care about going on between a few peeps. It wasn't a joking thread, but Mikey took care of that. I think we're pretty upbeat and fun, myself. Just saying...!

That's all I'll say on the subject at this time.

A

Anonymous

TV sucks... I hate it, but I do want to see this show. If its fish related, I'm in!!!!