tank volume and aquarium thickness

L190

So I have a chance to get a really large aquarium, I believe the tank is 600 gallons. I cleared it with the wife and the wife is ok with me getting such a huge tank. The thing is that the acrylic on the tank is 1/2 inch thick. I don't know much about volume to acrylic thickness but isn't that a bit thin for a tank that size? I have used the calculators on the web and they have said 1 to 2 inches. I want to see people's opinions before I buy this thing.

Nick_87

What are the tanks size dimensions? Height is the biggest factor, not gallons. I have seen many 300+ gallon tanks with only 1/2" acrylic.

jrygel

It depends on the width and height of the largest panel, as well as the bracing included. For example the front panel of a 55 gallon (48x12x21) carries roughly the same load as the front panel of a 120 gallon (48x24x25) - the 120 is slightly higher because it is taller, but its just an example. So, how deep is it, and what is the longest panel? Is there a typical braced top, like most acrylic tanks?

-Justin

Madness

Staff member
Exactly what has been asked already what is the height? I have a 400is only 1/4"but it is also only 17"tall.

Br

At 30" tall, I think your only option is to let it sits on the floor and have some reinforcement at the corners...drop in a couple monsters like rays and catfish and you're good to go. Not sure if you have young children playing around but I'm sure you don't want to put it on the stand either. I wouldn't even go near if it's sitting up high. For me, if a tank with regular dimensions, 1/2" is good for up to 240gal....3/4 is for something between 300-400 gal....1" for 450" and above. Good luck and hope you'll figure out a way that'll work for you. Would love to see pictures and progress if you decided to set it up.