tank leaking / put fish in rubbermaid tote?

dandelion

my 55 gallon is leaking and i must find a replacement or fix the one i have. if i decide to fix mine, do you think it is okay to put the fish in a large rubbermaid tote? do you think the tote is made of anything that would leach into the water and harm the fish?
i have no other place to put them, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Addictedtofish

If you have air powered sponge filter then you could keep the fish in there for some time, might need a little higher watt heater since the rubber with no top wont hold heat for that long.

sidekicking

Every ytime I switch tanks...I transfer my fish to a rubbermaid tub and I've had never had any problems

I've also heard of people growing out fry in rubbermaid tubs

dandelion

thanks for your responses! i have a magnum canister filter and numerous heaters. they'd probably have to be in there a few days, which is what i was worried about.

never thought about using it for fry, that's a great idea. portable too!

icer711

i use rubber made totes to hold fish while transferring and sometime quarantining never had a problem
also where is it leaking? is it just the seals? if so you can get GE silicone I from Home depot about 5-10 buck a tube and i will do the whole tank and be as good as new 24hrs after you finish

sandnuka

Imma 5gal bucket kinda guy.... never fails..... if it is for more than a couple days i jump on craigslist and grab a 20 -30gal, then sell it after Im done with it....

larry.beck

If the container/bucket/etc is labeled as safe for food then it is safe for fish. Otherwise, you're taking a chance. Many of them are, including the popular big rubbermaid container.

dandelion

the tank is leaking around the bottom. i'm going to try to fix it, if i can caulk a tub, i should be able to handle this!

from the responses, i'm not worried about keeping them in a tote for a few days now. thanks for all the feedback!

icer711

get rubber gloves and use tape if you want to look nice :D.... i run a bead along the seam and then use my finger to press it in place, but use gloves other wise you make a mess in a hurry and have very water proof fingers :lol: