Tank Cycling - 46 gallon planted

julzhull

I'm currently cycling a 46 gallon planted tank. I set it up with plants on 11/21. No fish, just a few snails (and now a dozen baby snails). I've been testing with strips infrequently, more often this week. A few days ago I thought I saw a hint of pink for nitrites. The next day nothing. Yesterday and today I'm seeing very light pink for nitrates. Is this the end of the cycle already? That seems hard to believe so I thought I'd check here.

Betty

Staff member
Have you been adding a source of ammonia or some type of food to break down and start the process? Did you use a filter or media from an established tank? Are the test strips new? It doesn't seem like a few snails would be enough to get the cycle going.

julzhull

Test strips were new and we used a filter from an established tank. Plants have been growing so I've figured they're consuming any nitrites/nitrates. I'm now in the process of adding a few fish every week or so to slowly build it up. Still watching levels really closely.

Betty

Staff member
Watching closely after adding fish is good. I wouldn't be too sure the tank has cycled if there hasn't been any source of ammonia yet -- nothing to feed the bacteria in the filter. Adding the fish should get that started.