T5 listing question

Soundline

I have some t5 ho 24w lights with 6400k bulbs. Now I got them for growing orchids, and can take remember a damn thing about lighting for saltwater, and I've never done freshwater plants.

Just wondering if they would work?

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi Soundline,

Your 24 watt 6400K T5HO bulbs will work for freshwater, however remember that T5HO lamps decrease in output substantially after they have been in use for a year.

Soundline

Hi Soundline,

Your 24 watt 6400K T5HO bulbs will work for freshwater, however remember that T5HO lamps decrease in output substantially after they have been in use for a year.

Thanks it was only used for about 3 months if that. Do you by chance know what it is exactly that decreases?

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi Soundline,

Typically the light intensity (PAR) decreases. I use power compact lamps (basically a T5HO bent into a "U" shape) on a couple of my tanks and the PAR has dropped from PAR@105 when new to PAR@65 after 12 months. There is some thought that there may be a shift in the spectrum (K) but I don't know if it does or not.

GSAS has a Apogee PAR Meter (Model 510) available to members so we can quantify the light intensity in our tanks.