Synodontis petricola breeding

deddy89

has anyone here bred synodontis petricola before?
one of mine has been very "plump" recently and i'm hoping "she" is full of eggs.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I've never attempted it. But I hear the hardest part is keeping the parents from eating the eggs.

deddy89

I've read that too the trap is supposed to keep them from eating the eggs but i need modify it a little more, maybe tomorrow

Betty

Staff member
Let us know if you're successful. I've always been interested in multipunctatus and the way they reproduce.

Paintguy

I have once, but I did not do anything to help out. Just noticed one small one swimming around the tank one day. They always hid in my tank and since then one of the parents died, so not going to happen again.

deddy89

i thought the eggs might have been unfertilized, after about 48 hours i had given hope but today after work i noticed around the the edge of the "tumbler" im keeping the eggs in some movement! looks like a have a decent amount of wigglers! they are tiny! but now im worried about food for them!

deddy89

sorry these pictures arent the best but the first is the "trap" and the second is the fry now, they are around the edge, yellow in color

sonnys503

I've always liked Petricolas, I have Multipunctatus. Would love to have a colony petricolas with my Multies, someday. Good luck.

Last edited:

Betty

Staff member
Deddy, I think sonnys503 is referring to Synodontis multipunctatus -- the synodontis I mentioned in my earlier post.

Congrats on your fry! That's awesome.

deddy89

@Grimblegrumble i moved them into a 5.5 gallon and fed them for the first time Wednesday night, but came home last night from work and they had all died. I read the first feeding is the hardest, but still pretty bummed. Hopefully they breed again and i can try something else