Syndontis Multipunctatus

Addictedtofish

I picked up 4 2" juveniles today from Bobby for $20 and added them to my tank that I already have 3 at 2 to 3.5" ones. They are so lively and love to chase each other.

Addictedtofish

I have 7 right now and will be picking up his last 2 tomorrow. They all will be in a 55 till there to big for the tank then I may split them up into 2 tanks.

hbluehunter

Nice addition, I have 7 in my 300 right now.. I like them alot better than i thought i would.. :) I'm used to big cats not little guys..lol Now hopefully i can get my hands on some Haps and try and breed these little buggers.. 8)

sonnys503

I got rid of my 3 WC that were about 4-5 inches last month. I'm regretting it now. I may get some Petricolas, easier to breed, :) add some petricolas.

Addictedtofish

Petricola's are more expensive than the multi's. Im pretty well tapped for space now for cats. Maybe later on ill give some a try.

sonnys503

Tht's funny petricolas are easier to breed and should be more plentiful.
Both are same price here in psx, try double the price you paid. $20 is good price for 2"
some guy on aquabid selling them really good price, probably not a bad idea to get a groups order.

Addictedtofish

Bobby sold me 6 for $5 each and said every time he has order in petricola's they cost more for him and he generally would have to set on them. I hadnt read that the petricola was a confirmed parasite catfish, I thought the multi was the only one confirmed right now.

Doza

Information i have found has said they can be both a egg scatterer and do the parasitic laying as well

Addictedtofish

I figure I have enough of these multi's now I can give it a try with 2 or 3 different types of mouthbrooders to increase my odds of producing fry.

larry.beck

Petricolas aren't parasitic breeders, just the multipunctatus. But supposedly it's not easy to get the "host" to carry the multipunctatus to term - they oftentimes eat them.

Doza

[url=http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/s_petricola.htm:dajo1tk5]http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/s_petricola.htm[/url] said:
Contrary to popular belief this is also an egg scatterer as well as a a Cuckoo spawner like Synodontis multipunctata and a few other Rift Valley Synodontis. There are two articles on the breeding of this species in the ScotCat breeding articles page. First is by a fellow Scottish aquarist titled, The Spawning and Raising of the Pygmy Cat; Synodontis petricola. The other is by two American brothers titled Spawning Synodontis petricola.

Addictedtofish

I know the host cant carry the catfish fry the full term mainly because they end up growing there pectoral spines early on and ends up hurting the host so she ends up guarding the free swimmers. Ive read only certain kinds of fish will carry the catfish fry.