Sword plant question

Adam 910

I believe this is an oriental sword plant that we've had in th e 90 gallon for at least a month. What could be causing the holes in the plant? Also it looks like I really have 3 plants maybe I should split them up? The one on the right seems much happier it is also in a direct stream of co2 bubbles but I can't image 8 inches of tank would affect the co2 dispersion.

IMAG0905.jpg

Adam 910

Hmmm let me check fertilizers. K liquid fertilizer I use has potassium and I think root tabs do as well tabs havnt been in that long. No bristle nose plecos just a 6 inch common pleco I've never seen him messing with sword leaves. I'll let it all be and revisit in a month or so

pbmax

Then it's most likely acclimation. Judging from the shape of the affected leaves (fat / wide) those swords were most likely grown emersed. Emersed growth will often off when submersed; my swords did this in the past too. The plant will grow new leaves (longer, more narrow) and all will be well in a few months.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion, I see this kind of damage from plecos. I convert swords from emerged to submerged every week, for years. Looks nothing like this. This does however look like when a new employee adds a pleco into the tank to clean up some algae and the next day all the swords are swiss cheesed.

pbmax

Every emersed sword I plant does that, if memory serves. I don't keep plecos. It could be that the emersed growth is more vulnerable to anything in the tank that would pick at it.