Swim bladder problem

stierwalt3

So I think one of my Peacocks has a swim bladder problem! He tries to swim really hard but doesn't go very far and then floats to the top of the tank. which sucks because his favorite cave is at the bottom of the tank. Anyway any suggestions on how to help this guy out or is it terminal!? :(

bli_23

I think i have the same issue, however my little guy won't eat the pea. He won't eat anything and hasn't in 5 days. Any suggestions on how you got it to work?

Madness

Staff member
Turn it into a liquid, remove the fish and use a pipette, force the mouth open on the fish and force feed it.

bli_23

Take the fish out of water, and force its mouth open?

turn a pea to liquid? As in mixe it with water so its mush?
more than one pea or just stick with one pea?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
bli_23

If you are thinking about this with your betta, realize that one full pea is pretty large for a betta's stomach. And yes you would take the fish out of water and force feed. This is a pretty extreme step to have to take and can put a lot of stress on a fish. If your fish is on its last leg, you might as well try.

bli_23

I tried it and i honestly have no idea how much if any of the pea we got down his mouth. I know he is stressed, I can tell but its sort of my last ditch effort. i made it as liquidy as possible but it was still kinda chunky. I do know his gills are breathing pretty heavy in the water and he hasn't moved since we put in back in the tank. He is doing mini baby gulps at the bottom of the tank, swam up a few time to the top and sunk right back down.

Any idea how long it normally takes to work?

Madness

Staff member
Sounds like you are at the point where you have to decide, is the cost of the medicine worth it. You may just need to euthanize him. Sorry, sometimes we have to do things that we dont want to. I have had to put down a few fish, because cost of the meds outweighed the cost of the fish.

Fish Q&A Section: Changes In Behavior

Q: My fish are listless and just sit on the bottom of the tank or Koi pond.

A: Try checking the water temperature first. If the weather has changed and it is cold outside, or your heater is malfunctioning... this could cause this condition. If the temperature is fine, this sounds like a bacterial infection.

Treatment: Treat the fish with TMP Sulfa -or- Gentamycin Sulfate.
Q: My fish are breathing heavily. I used an anti-parasitic treatment but it didn't work

A: This sounds like the pH could be too high (alkalosis), or there is an Ammonia or Nitrite problem. Check all water parameters with a test kit.

Treatment: Do some partial water changes and make sure to use a dechlorinator. If the pH is too high for the species of fish, use some Sodium Monophosphate to lower it. If the Ammonia is too high, increase the aeration and use some Aqua-Gold.
Q: My fish cannot swim correctly and whirls-wobbles around the tank

A: This sounds like a bacterial infection of the swim bladder.

Treatment: Use Erythromycin powder for 10 days. TMP Sulfa is also a good treatment for swim bladder disorders.

Whenever you suspect a swim bladder problem, do not pop your fish with a pin or needle!
Q: My fish is stuck at the top of the water, and fights to swim down to the bottom.

A: This could be an internal parasitic problem, especially in large cichlids.

Treatment: Treat the fish with Paracide-D Mix the medication in the food and feed it to the fish for 3-5 days.
Q: My fish has turned dark and hides all the time. The fish seems "spooked".

A: First check to see if there is another aggressive fish in the tank, that is picking on this particular fish. If you have small children or adults tapping on the glass, this could be the case. Also, too much movement around the tank, or too much cleaning and disturbing the tank, might be the problem. Water quality could also be an issue.

Treatment: If none of the above, treat the fish with Parinox.
Q: The fish look fine, but then suddenly jerk and dart around the tank or pond.

A: Your fish are affected by Parasites.

Treatment: Treat the fish with De-Los in freshwater tanks -or- Praziquantel. in marine tanks
Q: My fish hang at the top of the tank, or underneath the waterfall in the pond, and gasp for air.

A: Your fish are affected by Gill Flukes

Treatment: Treat the fish with De-Los in freshwater tanks or Praziquantel. in marine tanks
Q: My fish used to eat readily, but now he won't eat at all. His stomach is all bloated up.

A: Sounds like the fish has internal Hexamita (Malawi Bloat).

Treatment: Treat the fish with Metronidazole powder. Try starving the fish for 1 week and feed him some Metronidazole in some frozen food. Use 1/2 teaspoon per 1/2 pound of food. Feed it to the fish once a day for 5-7 days.
Q: My fish eats like a pig, but his belly is all swollen up.

A: This sounds like internal parasites, worms probably.

Treatment: Use Paracide-D in the feed. Use 1/4 teaspoon per 100 grams of food. Feed the medicated food to the fish once a day for 3-5 days.

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/swim_bladder.html

bli_23

I feel like i should give it a few days to see if it works, plus i have the EM Pro that is coming on Friday

It says "EM-Pro, National Fish Pharmaceuticals EM Pro is the treatment of choice for gram-positive bacterial infections such as: Popeye and swim bladder infections. It will also rid your tank of red algae (cyano-bacteria), blue-green algae and black algae (aspergillis niger). EM Pro is safe for all freshwater and marine tropical fish including: Goldfish, Koi, Bettas, Cichlids, Catfish, Tetras, Angelfish, Discus, etc. It is also safe for all scaless fish. This package contains 60 doses (enough to treat 600 gallons of water 1 time"

Madness

Staff member
I replied with a link on the other thread. Please answer these ?'s

1)what is the ph?
2)what is the ammonia?
3)what is the nitrites?
4)how often do you do water changes?
4.5)when doing the water changes, did you use warm water from your tap?
5)do you use dechlorinator? what kind?
6)do you use carbon in your filter?
7)what type of filter?
8)do you add salt to the water? if so,what type?
9)what were you feeding before this happened?
10)what other signs can you tell me about him? Be specific. ie: he is fatter than normal, he is pale or white, slimmy, etc....

Now I am going to answer my questions:
1)should be around 7.0
2)should read 0
3)should read 0
4)everyday 50%
4.5)never do this
5)prime should be used
6)never use this
7)one that flows at a solid pace
8)hopefully aquarium salt
9)hopefully food low in protein

I wonder if there is something else wrong with him.

here is another suggestion:
I would start a 10 day Epsom salt treatment on him.

Get a clean 1gal jug and fill with dechlorinated water of like temp (heat it on the stove if necessary) and add 1tsp/gal Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) use this water for 50%+ daily water changes for 2 days-then increase the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and continue the 50% daily water changes with this water for 7 more days-pre mixing the treatment water will help make water changes and correct dosage easier

Hold all food for the first 5 days and then offer half feeding twice a day during the remainder of the treatment

Maintain water temp in the 80-82F range

You can also add tannins to the Epsom salt treatment water from either-naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf, just float them in the tank (3-4) the more tannins released the darker the water the more the Betta will like it...this will soften the water.

Make sure the pre-mix treatment water is within a couple of degree in temp

Before using the EM-Pro, I would try this, or try this prior to receiving the meds. Its your call.
Good luck